Cyclocross world cup, exotic Milton Keynes

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited December 2014 in Cyclocross
Is anyone going? Or has anyone been to the "bowl" before? The car parking is full (and apparently it can take hours to get out of there anyway)

any tips on where to park nearby? Don't mind a walk if it saves a 4 hour traffic jam to get out!

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The World Cup isn't at the Bowl; it's at Campbell Park, towards the East side of Milton Keynes.

Can't comment on Parking for Campbell Park I'm afraid; I missed the boat on that one too :roll:

Should be a good day. Will be racing on Sunday too :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Tons of car parking in CMK. Best place is the snow dome / xscape building. Campbell Park is just over the foot bridge.
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks guys, why the heck did I think it was at the Bowl then? it's been a long week!
  • tgotb
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Tons of car parking in CMK. Best place is the snow dome / xscape building. Campbell Park is just over the foot bridge.
    Cool, thanks!
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Thanks guys, why the heck did I think it was at the Bowl then? it's been a long week!
    To be fair, last year's NT was at the Bowl. Racing there tomorrow too, should be great conditions. You coming?

Half tempted to pop over to Campbell Park on the way home and have a bit of a ride around :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Tons of car parking in CMK. Best place is the snow dome / xscape building. Campbell Park is just over the foot bridge.
    Cool, thanks!
    Paul 8v wrote:
    To be fair, last year's NT was at the Bowl. Racing there tomorrow too, should be great conditions. You coming?

Half tempted to pop over to Campbell Park on the way home and have a bit of a ride around :-)

Please don't ride the Campbell Park circuit.... the grass was cut with 6 weeks to go to allow it to nit properly for the event. If it's cut up before hand the event will be a mud bath. The guys have planned plenty of non rideable sections as it is!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Tomorrow's CX race is at the bowl, as was the last one we hosted. Last year's NT round was also at the bowl.

Tomorrow's conditions should be testing, it's rained all day pretty much and I'm 1/2 mile away
  • tgotb
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Please don't ride the Campbell Park circuit.... the grass was cut with 6 weeks to go to allow it to nit properly for the event. If it's cut up before hand the event will be a mud bath. The guys have planned plenty of non rideable sections as it is!
    Fair enough, any course inspections will be carried out from the sidelines, and on foot...

Might be worth getting them to tweet something to that effect; one of last week's tweets was almost encouraging people to have a go...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Paul 8v
    That looks like quite a fun course!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I satisfied my curiosity by going and seeing a CX event.

Wowsers! What fun!

Great day out, brilliant atmosphere and some supreme athletes.
  • Peat wrote:
    I satisfied my curiosity by going and seeing a CX event.

Wowsers! What fun!

Great day out, brilliant atmosphere and some supreme athletes.

Yes Sven was impressive with his ride from behind after that early mishap.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited November 2014
    A grand day out indeed. I can still hear those cow-bells though :D:D:D
  • loved it, can't think of a better sport to watch live. Two very close races and plenty of cow bells!
  • A cracking day out! Venue, atmosphere, course and racing all excellent. £10 for the ticket was definitely £10 well spent! :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    edited November 2014
    During the men's race I was in a queue for a burger, in front of me copying my own post race recovery regime, was Maghalie Rochette. I asked her what she had thought of the course. Her response was that it was a good course, similar to many in Belgium but that the crowd seemed very festive. She said this was unlike Belgian races and more like racing in the States. I can only guess this is because we were supporting all riders not just ones we have allegiances too but still very cool to be able to chat with a racer still covered in mud and also waiting for a burger :D
  • I really wanted to make it down to see my first cyclocross race live, but sadly, other plans got in the way. Hopefully catch something else soon!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    During the men's race I was in a queue for a burger, in front of me copying my own post race recovery regime, was Lizzy Witlox. I asked her what she had thought of the course. Her response was that it was a good course, similar to many in Belgium but that the crowd seemed very festive. She said this was unlike Belgian races and more like racing in the States. I can only guess this is because we were supporting all riders not just ones we have allegiances too but still very cool to be able to chat with a racer still covered in mud and also waiting for a burger :D

I guess with something like cyclocross its hard to get as partisan about it as they are in Belgium, because most of the home grown talent & UK based riders arent going to be that well known outside of cyclocross circles, and you only had to look at each and every riders face whatever their nationality, to see how much effort & pain they were going through, its almost like why wouldnt you cheer someone who is getting absolutely covered in mud, is totally drained, but just keeps getting back on that bike and carrying on :)

how was the burger btw
  • awavey wrote:
    During the men's race I was in a queue for a burger, in front of me copying my own post race recovery regime, was Lizzy Witlox. I asked her what she had thought of the course. Her response was that it was a good course, similar to many in Belgium but that the crowd seemed very festive. She said this was unlike Belgian races and more like racing in the States. I can only guess this is because we were supporting all riders not just ones we have allegiances too but still very cool to be able to chat with a racer still covered in mud and also waiting for a burger :D

I guess with something like cyclocross its hard to get as partisan about it as they are in Belgium, because most of the home grown talent & UK based riders arent going to be that well known outside of cyclocross circles, and you only had to look at each and every riders face whatever their nationality, to see how much effort & pain they were going through, its almost like why wouldnt you cheer someone who is getting absolutely covered in mud, is totally drained, but just keeps getting back on that bike and carrying on :)

how was the burger btw

It filled a hole :)
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Please don't ride the Campbell Park circuit.... the grass was cut with 6 weeks to go to allow it to nit properly for the event. If it's cut up before hand the event will be a mud bath.
    :lol:

Ruth
  • Paul 8v
    Haha, imagine if it had rained!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It did rain on Saturday morning and the juniors didn't half churn it up. I watched Francis Mourey on his first practise lap come around the 'end of the world' and go straight on his ar$e as he hit the off-camber descent. Some nearly slid straight under the inside barrier. Very few rode the left-hander, they simply dismounted on the bend and ran the length of the straight. Sven was impressive - he was second-last after a half-lap and back in the top-20 a lap later.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..