Drifting bearings - Miche Primato Rear Hub

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Any tips on drifting out the bearings on a Miche Primato rear hub?

I bought an Enduro bearing puller which is a piece of junk and due to go in the bin.

Normally I would remove the first bearing with the axle which would allow access to the second bearing to be removed with a punch. But with Primato hubs the axle comes out with the freehub so I don't think I can use it and as it has the same size 6001 bearing on either side so I can't get anything wide enough inside to tap out the first bearing. That is without resorting to a screwdriver and possibly making a mess of the hub.

I'd like to do it properly so do I need something like this?http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b268s568p22229/Wheels_Manufacturing_6001_6801_And_6901_Sealed_Bearing_Extractor/RS_GB?gclid=CKLQ0q3J6MECFQLlwgod5HoAnw and is there anything else I need to complete the job?

Cheers for your help.

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Ask thecycleclinic who builds with these hubs, also posts on here
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Escher303 wrote:
    Any tips on drifting out the bearings on a Miche Primato rear hub?

I'd like to do it properly so do I need something like this?http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b268s568p22229/Wheels_Manufacturing_6001_6801_And_6901_Sealed_Bearing_Extractor/RS_GB?gclid=CKLQ0q3J6MECFQLlwgod5HoAnw and is there anything else I need to complete the job?

Cheers for your help.

Yup - managed to access the link from your text and the extractor looks like the right tool for the job.

Once you have the first bearing "clamped" by the extractor, you'll need a suitable thin rod (or maybe a screwdriver) to push through the other bearing to access the extractor to tap it out with the bearing attached. Once the first bearing is out, it will be easier to get at the extractor to tap out the second bearing.

The only problem I can envisage is that if the bearings are really well seated in the hub, then there is a danger of the central part of the bearing being hammered out, leaving the outer race still stuck in the housing. However if yoiu take it steady , it should work OK.
  • Screwdriver and a mallet pop one, then pop the other. The design makes removing them a tad harder, but fitting a lot easier, on balance fitting is the tricky part, so it's a good design
    left the forum March 2023
  • hot air gun to warm the hub up, bearings will come out easily. keep hub warm and drop in new bearings (keep them cold)
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • hot air gun to warm the hub up, bearings will come out easily. keep hub warm and drop in new bearings (keep them cold)

Would a hair dryer be hot enough?
  • Probably not
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.