Wheels

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all!

I'm looking to get a new set of wheels,
20mm up front and 142x12 out back 26 inch!

Mainly do enduro and trail but a fair few DH days thrown in every now and then!

Looking at the e thirteen TRS+
And the Easton havocs

I can get the trs+ for £600 and the havocs for £400 what would go for?

Thanks Tom

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    20mm up front and 142x12 out back 26 inch!
    Got some WTB Frequency i23s on Hope Pro 2 Evos built up by the lbs for £330 they seem to be holding up quite well

Might also want to consider MTX 29s. Both fairly wide rims good tyre profile without being too heavy
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Avoid the Eastons, the hubs are sh1t.
    WTB i25 are a good, tough enduro rim. CRC do them on Hope hubs for around £400.
    I'm using Hope Tech Enduro wheels, they seem to be tougher than my Mavic EX721 DH wheels but much lighter. I'm quite impressed with them.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you don’t mind proprietary parts and therefore expensive repairs, then I can’t recommend Mavic Crossmax SX enough. Super strong for their relatively light weight and the hubs are very smooth and reliable. I’ve had Halo wheels, Hope wheels, Specialized wheels, etc etc, but the STs are definitely my all-time favourite. They’re advertised as being for Trail/All-Mountain use but I ride a mix of everything on them (sometimes quite harshly) and they’ve been holding up amazingly well, although if you want something a little beefier then look at the Crossmax SX which are aimed squarely at the #enduro market. Again, people will bemoan the expensive straight pull spokes but the quality and performance of the wheelset makes it worth it IMO, and I’ve never needed to replace one yet anyway.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8