Winter / CX Options

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Before I end up going custom made I wanted to check there weren't any off-the-peg alternatives I hadn't considered...

I received a bit of an inheritence and decided to blow it on a new bike - usage will be 50/30/20 winter training bike / Cx race bike / general off-road hooning I reckon. Needs to have mudguard eyes and ideally rack eyes, water bottle bosses and be set up for disc brakes, ideally hydraulic.

I'm pretty much set on something either Steel, possibly stainless or Ti.

So, is there anything out there that ticks all the boxes? My current plan is an Indy Fab steel Planet X with ultegra and hydraulic discs but that's mainly because I've always wanted one!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,716
    Genesis Fugio? Not sure if it has mudguard eyes though. Ugo will know, but might not answer as he dislikes mudguards.
  • If it were me I would get a really nice summer bike and spend no more than 1000 on a CX bike. The CX is going to be ridden in the worst conditions, raced and so prob crashed. Replacement parts for Ultegra are not cheap!
  • meesterbond
    I already have a nice summer bike and for that matter a CX race bike I'll be selling. As we have a one in, one out policy in our house, in order to get a suitable winter bike (which the CX race bike is not) it also needs to be vaguely suitable for racing cyclocross, albeit at a pretty low level.

Genesis Fugio doesn't have mudguard eyes I'm afraid so that's out.
  • I think the new Croix de Fer with carbon fork ticks all the boxes
    left the forum March 2023
  • meesterbond
    And that comes in a particularly shiny 931 version.

I think that'll go on the short list
  • And that comes in a particularly shiny 931 version.

I think that'll go on the short list

Vanity purchase... no need to spend extra for the 931... it doesn't even have a carbon fork, which is instead a necessary upgrade.

Stainless steel doesn't really bring in anything in a bicycle
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Recent thread covering this topic pretty much so plenty of suggestions to consider tho' many of them are carbon framed so maybe not to your liking

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12997798

One other you might consider is the Pearson "The Rough with the Smooth"

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson- ... duct_tabs2

Alloy frame with SRAM Apex, carbon forks, disc brakes and mudguard capability.

They have higher specced bikes for more money if you wish to spend more that £1150
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    caadx rival 22
  • arlowood wrote:
    Recent thread covering this topic pretty much so plenty of suggestions to consider tho' many of them are carbon framed so maybe not to your liking

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12997798

One other you might consider is the Pearson "The Rough with the Smooth"

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson- ... duct_tabs2

Alloy frame with SRAM Apex, carbon forks, disc brakes and mudguard capability.

They have higher specced bikes for more money if you wish to spend more that £1150

I'm loving the look of that Pearson 8)