Small piece broken on shifter

JohnLarke
JohnLarke Posts: 51
edited November 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,
First post for many years. I am a relative newby to road cycling, been doing it since august now. Hopefully someone can put my mind to rest on this one as I have not found another scenario like it anywhere to compare it to. Basically whilst adjusting my front derailleur a while back a few strands of wire become frayed, a month later it got worse so I decided to change the cable, put the shifter in the right gear etc and proceeded to push the cable back out, it was stuck in the shifter slightly so to help it I put a small screwdriver in the hole to lever it out, this worked straight away but with little force part of the shifter snapped off! You can see this on the photos and on the bottom pic I have coloured in red where it used to be. My question is if this part if structural and important to the strength of the shifter, I have tested it loads on my work stand and it shifts fine but just wanted to know if it will weaken in time and snap on one of my longer rides? I am not fully sure how the lever is attached etc and how the internals actually work, for all I know what I have done will cause no issues at all, just wanted to be sure?

Thanks in advance

7GmDRF.jpg
yGRSTH.jpg
PDYnwH.jpg
tR5X7f.jpg

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Apart from it might let a bit more crud into the shifter - I dont think that should cause any issues.
  • thanks for the reply, I did think maybe a bit more crud would get in. but as long as not detrimental to the shifting I am happy to leave it. thanks again