6 bolt disc hub to centre bolt adaptor

renouj21
renouj21 Posts: 13
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I note that it is possible to buy a kit to convert Shimano centre bolt hubs to 6 bolts. Is it possible to go the other way? I want to use the Shimano RT99 rotor, but the wheelset I'm planning to get is 6 bolt.
In the absence of an adaptor, is there a good reasonably priced (approx 300UKP) centre bolt wheelset that anyone would care to recommend?
Thanks
J

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not possible. Start looking at new wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Get a custom wheel set from someone like Just Riding Along with Shimano hubs and rims of your choice.
  • Why on gods green earth are you so wedded to a rotor?!

Man up, bin the centrelock rotor, get some new rotors to go with your 6 bolt hubbed wheels. Any other solution is ridiculous.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I should have made clear, I haven't actually got the wheels yet.
    I very much like the Shimano 140mm discs, especially as I'm planning to go Di2. But wheel choice with the Shimano centre lock hub is v restricted, particularly at a reasonable price.
    A build is certainly the next option to explore.
    Thanks for the comments
    J
  • You can use ANY rotors to go with DI2. The choice of 140mm 6 bolt rotors is vast.

I'm sorry, I just don't see why on earth you'd base your wheel purchasing decisions on one of the cheapest and most irrelevant (and disposable) parts.

So, widen the choice of hubs available to you by going down the 6 bolt hub route.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Yes, but the choice of 140mm rotors that are considered safe with road wheels/Di2 is much less - the Shimano ICE look by far the best. So if I go for 6 bolt rotor I'll probably end up with 160mm rotors, at least at the front. It's not the end of the world, and as you say if the trade off is a vastly expanded choice of reasonably priced wheelsets, then it's the way to go. I was looking for an ideal solution, and it is clear it doesn't exist.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    renouj21 wrote:
    Yes, but the choice of 140mm rotors that are considered safe with road wheels/Di2 is much less -

Where DO you get your information! Thats utter and complete nonsense. A rotor is a rotor. What's Di2 - a GEAR changing system got to do with it???
  • renouj21 wrote:
    Yes, but the choice of 140mm rotors that are considered safe with road wheels/Di2 is much less - the Shimano ICE look by far the best. So if I go for 6 bolt rotor I'll probably end up with 160mm rotors, at least at the front. It's not the end of the world, and as you say if the trade off is a vastly expanded choice of reasonably priced wheelsets, then it's the way to go. I was looking for an ideal solution, and it is clear it doesn't exist.

Complete and utter bollocks. It's a piece of metal, mounted on a hub, that sits in between the brake caliper waiting for you to pull the lever. Road/Di2 puts no more pressure on the disc than any other disc brake system - it's as limited by the potential of pushing that much hydraulic fluid (or pulling that much cable in some systems) through that size tube as every other brake system.

You do understand that the ICE bit is the caliper and not the rotor don't you?!

You roadies really have no idea do you, it's proper "emperor's new clothes".
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407

As much as I concur with the sentiment of your post in general, the pedant in me has to point out that this isn't strictly true - The shimano Ice-Tech rotors are materially different to most others, as they have an aluminium "filling" sandwiched between two layers of steel. This supposedly means the emperor doesn't get so hot in these particular new clothes ;)

However, I suspect that the true crux of the matter lies in this extract from the OP (he is a roadie, afterall):
    renouj21 wrote:
    the Shimano ICE look by far the best.
  • jimothy78 wrote:

As much as I concur with the sentiment of your post in general, the pedant in me has to point out that this isn't strictly true - The shimano Ice-Tech rotors are materially different to most others, as they have an aluminium "filling" sandwiched between two layers of steel. This supposedly means the emperor doesn't get so hot in these particular new clothes ;)

However, I suspect that the true crux of the matter lies in this extract from the OP (he is a roadie, afterall):
    renouj21 wrote:
    the Shimano ICE look by far the best.

Best get a 180 or 200 then if you're that worried about overheating ;)

And yes, I suspect you are correct.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris