New shock on the Boardman?

big_chris-2
big_chris-2 Posts: 2,098
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently on a 2012 Boardman Pro FS with a RockShox Monarch R shock. I've never been that taken by the feeling of the rear suspension though - it feels quite wooden. I've played with different settings (the rebound and Gate adjusters don't really have much of an effect if I'm honest) and I've messed about with different air pressures to no avail. The rear end just doesn't feel plush like I'd hoped from its 125mm travel.

Would upgrading the shock to a Monarch RT3 DebonAir be worthwhile? I've read lots of good things about them and it's certainly cheaper than a new bike!
Something...

Comments

• I've just ordered a DebonAir upgrade kit (i.e. the bigger air can) for my bog standard Monarch. I actually quite like the shock anyway, but that may be more to do with the bike.

I find that the Monarch is at its best at 30% sag and fast rebound (3 clicks from the rabbit). But again, that may be due to my bike's characteristics.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what effect it has.
  • big_chris-2
    Interesting... when do you get it?

I wondered if the fast black shaft on the new one might add to the improved feel though?
    Something...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Give TFTuned a call Chris ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • BiG CHRIS wrote:
    Interesting... when do you get it?

No idea, I think it may be a while though.
  • big_chris-2
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Give TFTuned a call Chris ;)
    I did think about that but it's a fairly basic shock, and I like the idea of having the adjustment on the RT3. The rebound and gate dials on my Monarch don't really do an awful lot and being able to choose from open, climb and locked on the RT3 is appealing. Just don't want to spend the money if it's a lost cause on the Boardman.
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the Monarch RT3 and it wasn't very good. Very harsh in the first half of the stroke. I have replaced it with a Cane Creek DB Inline which is a huge upgrade. Best air shock I have ridden by a long way and good value.
  • big_chris-2
    The new DebonAir Monarch has been getting great reviews though, much improved over previous models.

I checked out the Cane Creek, sounds great but a bit pricey and perhaps one for tech-heads with all the low speed/high speed adjustments.

I guess I'm really asking if a shock upgrade will make a noticeable difference on the Boardman, or is it just a characteristic of the frame/suspension design that makes it feel the way it does?
    Something...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If it fits I would recommend this: http://flatoutcycles.co.uk/new-x-fusion ... AuJX8P8HAQ

Best £200 you could spend on a shock. Easily a match for all but the best tuned CC DB shocks.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • big_chris-2
    POAH wrote:
    inline is pretty easy to set up TBH
    Is it worth the extra £100 over the DebonAir? Seems to be billed as a shock for 'aggressive bikes' which I don't think could be said of the Boardman, or the way I ride it!

X-Fusion are unknown to me, they worth considering? Similar price to the DebonAir.
    Something...
  • benpinnick
    If the debonair is that cheap its a more tricky choice. The Debonair (assuming RT3) has a useful pedal and lockout option, but the 02 is definitely the better controlled, with a finer adjustment on the low speed compression. Bear in mind though, you need to find a shock that suits your frame, otherwise you could be onto a loser. Does your shock have the tune settings on it?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • big_chris-2
    Not sure about tune, would I find this on the shock? The Boardman is my first full-sus so this is all new to me.

I looked at the Monarch RT3 DebonAir first as it's the latest version of what's already on the bike so assumed it would be well suited.
    Something...
  • benpinnick
    on the shock, assuming they put them on there there will be two squares, one red, one blue, each with a letter in them (L/M/H I think). Ideally you want a shock that matches this, or you may end up with worse performance than you started with (even from a theoretically much better shock). You might find a mismatch on rebound (red square) is ok, as rebound adjustment on most shocks is pretty wide, but on the compression its basically fixed, and so if its wrong you're borked.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    (You dont have this issue on a CC shock though, they go from very low everything to very high everything via the dials)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • big_chris-2
    Ok cheers, will have a look over the weekend and see what's what.

Thanks for your help :)
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    BiG CHRIS wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    inline is pretty easy to set up TBH
    Is it worth the extra £100 over the DebonAir? Seems to be billed as a shock for 'aggressive bikes' which I don't think could be said of the Boardman, or the way I ride it!

X-Fusion are unknown to me, they worth considering? Similar price to the DebonAir.

It is really easy to set up and in a whole different league to the Monarch RCT3, not ridden the debonair but it still uses the same dampers as the RCT3.
    The Inline is aimed at hard riding bikes but it has an extremely efficient pedal platform, the only one to add low speed rebound as well as low speed compression while leaving the high speed compression and rebound to work as normal and aid traction on technical climbs.
  • poah
    remember than xfusion have 12mm mount hardware not 12.5mm like the rockshox so factor in the cost of new mounts
  • benpinnick
    POAH wrote:
    remember than xfusion have 12mm mount hardware not 12.5mm like the rockshox so factor in the cost of new mounts

Not for a looong time, they are 12.7/5 nowadays.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    benpinnick wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Not for a looong time, they are 12.7/5 nowadays.

that's handy then