dura ace c24 9000 clincher rim issue

bishopp1
bishopp1 Posts: 10
edited November 2014 in Workshop
hello apologies for first post whine ,long time lurker with an issue , I purchased a new da 9000 groupset and wheels recently very nice. however within 15 miles of the first ride this summer they have shed flakes of aluminium into the brake blocks they have never seen a drop of rain ,they have covered approx. 500 miles in the dry with new da 9000 b blocks. I have been informed by the supplier that this is to be expected. its never happened with NEW mavic, hed or dt wheels. obviously as soon as I heard the sound of the aluminium in the blocks I stopped removed wheels and dug flakes out but within one or two rides it was happening again rims and blocks cleaned but issue continued. I returned them to supplier who could not SEE a problem also shimano Belgium said the same. I cant afford to replace these after every two summers of riding. any thoughts gratefully accepted

Comments

• Unless the rims are badly scored, it sounds all normal. Check your pads... they might have some dirt in them that grind the rims and if necessary replace with fresh ones.

If you ride a lot of miles YOU WILL have to replace your wheels every couple of years as the braking process cause the rim sidewall to wear out... the lighter the rim the quicker it happens. 10-20 thousand Kilometers is typically how long they last if you ride mainly in the dry, lot less if you ride in the wet a lot
    left the forum March 2023
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Unless the rims are badly scored, it sounds all normal. Check your pads... they might have some dirt in them that grind the rims and if necessary replace with fresh ones.

If you ride a lot of miles YOU WILL have to replace your wheels every couple of years as the braking process cause the rim sidewall to wear out... the lighter the rim the quicker it happens. 10-20 thousand Kilometers is typically how long they last if you ride mainly in the dry, lot less if you ride in the wet a lot
    Or in the case of DA wheels, just replace the rims :) The C24's are about £250/pair at Madison last time I looked.

I've had some issues using C24's and how quickly the rims seem the wear down. But they're a great wheel so I wouldn't even consider ditching them for something else in that category. I love Shimano wheels in general, not just the DA C24's.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • JSCL wrote:
    Or in the case of DA wheels, just replace the rims :) The C24's are about £250/pair at Madison last time I looked

They are 250 each, not 250/pair
    left the forum March 2023
  • jscl
    JSCL wrote:
    Or in the case of DA wheels, just replace the rims :) The C24's are about £250/pair at Madison last time I looked

They are 250 each, not 250/pair
    Not last time I checked the B2B they weren't. (Which was only a few weeks ago)

Edit: Just checked, SRP is indeed £249.99 each. Not the cost though.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • jscl whats b2b? thanks ,I knew the price would be high , this is what happens when aging 5th cat has beens like me ride pro race kit to mince around the Cotswolds drinking coffee and looking fast!
  • shimano da 9000 pads seem pretty gnarr so will be trying swisstop original black flash pro any other tips for non carnivorous pads ?
  • jscl
    bishopp1 wrote:
    jscl whats b2b? thanks ,I knew the price would be high , this is what happens when aging 5th cat has beens like me ride pro race kit to mince around the Cotswolds drinking coffee and looking fast!
    B2B is the Madison portal for customers to purchase things through.
    shimano da 9000 pads seem pretty gnarr so will be trying swisstop original black flash pro any other tips for non carnivorous pads ?

I highly recommend Swissstop pads - BUT they too will really wear down the rim. They're an aggressive pad, perfect if you're descending a col or what-have-ya, but I don't think you can justify them too easily with the wear they bring. But nonetheless, a really good option.
  • thanks for reply's ,still not impressed with lumps of aluminium coming off new rims on day one ,has anyone else actually had this and thought oh that's fine ? ive never had it before . any links to b2b jscl?thanks
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    JSCL wrote:
    bishopp1 wrote:
    jscl whats b2b? thanks ,I knew the price would be high , this is what happens when aging 5th cat has beens like me ride pro race kit to mince around the Cotswolds drinking coffee and looking fast!

B2B is the Madison portal for customers to purchase things through.

its a trade account only portal, so no doubt it is 250 per pair, for a shop! not sure why you are offering this advice?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    This is a great advert for handbuilts if ever I saw one. A replacement Archetype rim will cost £50 when it comes to it.
  • still the cl24`s are very light stiff and a bit aero they do seem to flY, at a price! they also take my fairly stock tcr sl a whopping 100g under the uci limit which is nice. again I ask though would you expect your new £50 archtype rim to shed alloy into the new brake blocks on the first day in the first 15 miles in the dry? I can certainly feel a difference over my ultegra open pro 32 wheels which have done about two years and don't leak flakes of aluminium
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You can get a pair of brand new C24 for £570 at Wiggle, so surprised just a pair of rims would cost £500?
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I've used swisstop black pads on my C24 since day one and have done some serious miles on them. I did have small shards in the pads initially but I simply removed the shards/sanded down the pad and they have been fine since. I treat mine as a summer only rims as I would like mine to last more than a couple of thousand miles.

P