Fast commuter option?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
OK, for those who want rack and guard mountings it falls short, otherwise a full on carbon road bike with discs sounds ideal!
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-48977/
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Something that changes traffic lights as I approach, now that would make for a fast commute, choice of bike doesn't seem to make much difference for me.
  • I'll stick with the Volagi - pretty much everything the S-Works has combined with mudguard capability
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    Since when was cost a factor on THIS forum?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I save £5 a day in bus fares by riding to work, so it would take 1600 days for that bike to pay for itself!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Rookie wrote:
    Since when was cost a factor on THIS forum?
    I was just wondering how I'd find something for sunny commutes if my rainy commuter (discs) cost £8k

And then Sunday best...

This is basically a 30 grand refit you're suggesting :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    edited November 2014
    It could almost be a sane price if you substituted 105 mechanical hydraulic, although I suspect the fact it has 'Specialized' written on the side would keep the price excessive.
  • The Rookie
    It is clearly a bit pricey for a commuter (I wasn't wholly serious) but it does tick all the boxes for a dry weather commuter (no rack) and it does look GREAT!

As an MTBer of course I only have to fund one on road bike (the commuter) as long as you discount the £40 town hack bike that is!
  • The hydraulic Ultegra Di2 version of the Volagi with 1400g carbon wheels is half the price. And you could ride it in the wet :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    The hydraulic Ultegra Di2 version of the Volagi with 1400g carbon wheels is half the price. And you could ride it in the wet :wink:
    Yeah, but it's a really old design. :wink:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    The hydraulic Ultegra Di2 version of the Volagi with 1400g carbon wheels is half the price. And you could ride it in the wet :wink:
    Yeah, but it's a really old design. :wink:

Hmmm - it IS the Liscio 2 :wink::lol:

I've yet to see another (apart from my brother's which I persuaded him to buy at £1000 off) and no-one knows what it is (is that a CX bike, mate?)