Portable Pressure Washers - help needed

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello All,

I am after a portable pressure washer.

I dont have any main water tap outside my house so I am after something which has got a water tank.

Also, ideally, would like 240V powered - I can run the lead from my house but cannot do the same with water hose.

I found few portable washers with water tank but they seem to be 12V powered and/or with rechargable battery ? I dont think its going to be powerful enough and you have to remeber to charge the battery etc ? Has anybody used them ?

Can I get such a thing portable, with water tank and still powered from 240V ???

And the price - dont go crazy here, please.

Cheers

And forget about this: http://www.freemans.com/products/non-el ... 9P&entry=3

Got one and after few weeks it gave up - not enough pressure.

Comments

• If it's for a bike it doesn't need to be powerful. Just enough to wash away a bit of clay. Any more and crap gets in bearings.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Too much pressure is a bad thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kinioo
    If it's for a bike it doesn't need to be powerful. Just enough to wash away a bit of clay. Any more and crap gets in bearings.

Mainly for bicycle and motorbike.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I was in a similar boat, with no outside tap so bought that yellow one you linked to, but haven't used it yet. Got it for about 1/2 the price listed on that page though. Think it was from Amazon :)

But yeah, high pressure will kill bearings. I'd just make do with what you have for the pusher and take the motorbike to a garage with a proper jet wash as required.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kinioo
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I was in a similar boat, with no outside tap so bought that yellow one you linked to, but haven't used it yet. Got it for about 1/2 the price listed on that page though. Think it was from Amazon :)

But yeah, high pressure will kill bearings. I'd just make do with what you have for the pusher and take the motorbike to a garage with a proper jet wash as required.

Yeah, I paid 9quid for mine form Amazon. It was OK but now it seems to loos some pressure when you pump it.

Yes I agree that the high pressure is not good at some places (same with motorbike) but only when you point it directly at it. Still need fairly high pressure to get rid of some crap.

So my quesitons stil stands.

Yes, I can take my motorbike to the garage (this is waht I usually do) but sometimes I really enjoy spending some time cleaning up my bike in the garden...

Cheers, anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bucket and sponge......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    kinioo wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Yeah, I paid 9quid for mine form Amazon. It was OK but now it seems to loos some pressure when you pump it.

Yes I agree that the high pressure is not good at some places (same with motorbike) but only when you point it directly at it. Still need fairly high pressure to get rid of some crap.

So my quesitons stil stands.

Yes, I can take my motorbike to the garage (this is waht I usually do) but sometimes I really enjoy spending some time cleaning up my bike in the garden...

Cheers, anyway.

That's fair enough. In that case look at the Mobi V-15 and V-17. Might be what you're after.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kinioo
    edited November 2014
    CitizenLee wrote:

That's fair enough. In that case look at the Mobi V-15 and V-17. Might be what you're after.

Thank You for that. I have seen them - look OK - only thing is they are 12V and/or 12V rechargable battery only.

Additionally this doesnt look good: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-35580/

...probably sponge and bucket is better option - as rookie suggested :))

Still looking for something very similar but with 240V ?

I dont know if something like this exists ?
  • cooldad
    240v + water = death.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    I have an 'RAC' pressure washer that has hose + water internal storage and is 240V....still alive!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    cooldad wrote:
    240v + water = death.

If you not careful even 240V or water on its own = death !

Very true.
  • kinioo
    Funny enough I found something like this:

http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Product_Vid ... t_Demo.htm

might be an option for me !!!!!!!
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    I have an 'RAC' pressure washer that has hose + water internal storage and is 240V....still alive!
    But you are old and wise.

Very old.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Very old, and yet, still, not as old as you.........
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bucket and sponge......

What I use with some brushes and rinse using a hose pipe. :wink:
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • kinioo
    gt5xcr wrote:
    and rinse using a hose pipe. :wink:

Yep, if I only had access to one...(no tap outside my house)
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    20 years ago a paintbrush was most useful and probably still is.

These days its just take the chain off, clean in paraffin, hang it up, clean the cassette/chainrings with muc off and paintbrush, do the whole bike, wait until its dry then oil the chain and put it back on. Its a pain taking a chain on and off (is it?!) but I think it is important to clean your bike that way. You can't clean it without getting something water based in the chain unless you do that. Even though that Park chain tool is £20+ - get it. I use that "Cyclo" one and its ancient, but importantly - all metal. Been using that for at least 25 years seriously. They still sell them and are cheap. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cycl ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    kinioo wrote:
    gt5xcr wrote:
    and rinse using a hose pipe. :wink:

Yep, if I only had access to one...(no tap outside my house)

I open the kitchen door and attach the hose to the kitchen sink tap :idea:
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • gt5xcr wrote:
    I open the kitchen door and attach the hose to the kitchen sink tap :idea:
    Ok if you have old-school taps. No good if your wife has swapped everything over for mixers or really bloody expensive square taps :x

I'm in the same boat as the OP - except that I live in a town house meaning that I have to walk up a set of stairs to get to a decent sized sink so that I can fill a bucket. It's a pain in the arse.
    I've resorted to using four buckets...
    One for the drive train, one for the frame/forks, one to rinse and one to clear the mess that I've left on the floor after I've finished.
    (And all of this has to be done in double-quick time so that no passing scrotes take my bike.)

I need a new system.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • CitizenLee
    Try a 3rd floor flat. I put more miles on those stairs than I do on the bikes that I'm washing! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I have a Nomad power washer. Very happy with it.

http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/index.php