Brompton or other (cheaper) foldie?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
Having previously dismissed folding bikes as the work of Satan, I am now reluctant to admit that in my new job I may need to procure one.

So: do I join the masses, and get a Brompton (which may required growing a beard)? And if so, which one (route relatively flat - Aylesbury and Central London)? Or do I get a cheaper alternative such as a Tern, Dahon, etc?

Or is there 'another way'? My train company (Chiltern Railways) seem to be OK with big wheel foldies, but I've always considered them selfish and frankly a bit bulky.

Ride will be c.7 miles total each way so need something decent to ride.

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never owned a folder but I've had a very brief pootle on many. From my very limited experience and from the testimony of the owners, I'd get a Brompton.

However, if you don't want a folder, how about N+2? Get a bike for each end of the train journey. Cheap SS, not too tarty and some decent locks.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • secretsam
    Funnily enough, I've considered the N+1 option (I'm currently at N=4!) and have just the bike - it used to 'live' in London, is pretty ratty to look at, and isn't worth much - it's the faff factor, frankly. The single bike option has certain attractions. But yes, I could just park a bike at Marylebone on the street (many do) and just ride that each day.

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The Dahon's are pretty good actually. I rode a 7 speed SRAM one the other day. Teeny bit lighter than a Brompton and definitely feels sportier. Fold is not as compact but it felt a bit more stable. Brompton are the gold standard, but Dahon are about half the price...
  • secretsam
    The Dahon's are pretty good actually. I rode a 7 speed SRAM one the other day. Teeny bit lighter than a Brompton and definitely feels sportier. Fold is not as compact but it felt a bit more stable. Brompton are the gold standard, but Dahon are about half the price...

In what way are Brompton the 'gold standard'? Their fold is excellent, but are they also the best to ride - I'd have thought a 20" wheel was better?

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    SecretSam wrote:

In what way are Brompton the 'gold standard'? Their fold is excellent, but are they also the best to ride - I'd have thought a 20" wheel was better?

I think you answered your own question.
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:

I think you answered your own question.

Well, no, I didn't - fold isn't everything. I've got to ride it as well :lol:

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The primary function of a bike is to be ridden surely. Yes, the fold is important, but second to its ride characteristics I would have thought?

stir
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Airnimal - pricey but nearest to a road bike?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never ridden an Airnimal, but I really like the idea of them.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Same here, I've met a few people who use them on Audaxes and for touring, they were very pleased with them. I've done a bit of extended touring and getting a 'normal' bike to the start and then back from the finish has been the worst part!
  • secretsam
    Airnimal are no doubt excellent riding options, but I'm paranoid that Chiltern Railways will make "folding bike" mean "small wheel folding bike", so am erring towards something 20" or smaller.

But yes, as per my "Marylebone to London Bridge" thread, it's got to be rideable - it's going to be doing 6-7 miles each way, and I'm not doing that on something horrible to ride. My comparators are my Cinelli, an old 531 from the 80s and a Spesh Sirrus.

• 6-7 miles easily done on a Brompton and they fold a treat and fit on the train without difficulty (even Eurostar as hand luggage).

I know those who regularly do that kind of distance (or much more) on a Brompton, but personally I'd say it's about the limit of where I'd just leave a full size fixed (or SS if you prefer) beater at each station.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    You may want to find out if Chiltern do Brompton rental.

It's something that SW trains does (really quietly). They do all the servicing and insure the thing for £200 a year for season ticket holders, which seems a great deal compared to buying a Brompton outright now that they are silly prices.
  • Are those the ones I see in SW Trains colours? I've always wondered why people would choose to have their bike match their train - if so that makes sense of it.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Don't forget you can try them out nice and cheaply with bromptondock from a lot of stations now.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If the bike is going on a commuter train, there is only one choice.

I see lots of people with 'folding' bikes that well, just aren't that folded for a busy train.
  • I see lots of people with 'folding' bikes that well, just aren't that folded for a busy train.

I've also seen people watching the train pull out while they grappling with a part-folded bike ...
  • secretsam
    6-7 miles easily done on a Brompton and they fold a treat and fit on the train without difficulty (even Eurostar as hand luggage).

I know those who regularly do that kind of distance (or much more) on a Brompton, but personally I'd say it's about the limit of where I'd just leave a full size fixed (or SS if you prefer) beater at each station.

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I see lots of people with 'folding' bikes that well, just aren't that folded for a busy train.

I've also seen people watching the train pull out while they grappling with a part-folded bike ...

If you can't fold a brompton in under 12 seconds once you've owned it more than a week then you probably shouldn't be riding a bike in traffic.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:

If you can't fold a brompton in under 12 seconds once you've owned it more than a week then you probably shouldn't be riding a bike in traffic.

Which is definitely not the case with certain other folders out there.
  • Koncordski wrote:

there is a well dressed lady at my local train station that manages it one handed, other has coffee etc. while walking to the Train, looks effortless...
  • This thread makes me think I should take better care of my Brompton. I don't use it that often since I prefer to ride in, but I am rather fond of it.

However, whilst the fixed and the road bike get a thorough clean, degrease, lube and check each week. even though the road bike has only done the Sunday club ride, and headset, hubs, bb, etc are overhauled regualarly, the Brompton gets rather left to look after itself.

I did clean it properly about 4 years ago and put some chain lube on some time in the summer but it is starting to get a bit sqeaky and the brakes don't work too well.

Methinks I should give it some TLC this weekend ...