New Enduro Hardtail

Barnseyyyy
Barnseyyyy Posts: 52
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
I recently decided to treat myself and build myself a new hardtail. I have not built a hardtail for a while now and would like to know if this setup will be capable of enduro racing and intense use.

Frame: 2014 Commencal Meta AM HT
Forks: Rockshox Pike, Solo Air, 650b, 150mm
Wheels: Nukeproof Generator AM
Drivetrain: Sram X1 with KMC X11SL DLC 11 Speed chain. Not sure about this yet.
Brakes: Shimano XT 160mm, are these still good for enduro use.

Do you guys have any suggestions to build a ultimate hardtail. Like i said i might not go with the X1 setup because the black paint on the cassette apparently wears off pretty quickly. I would like the all black setup.

Comments

• OnOne have just reduced the price of their Carbon456 xt, which comes with a Pike, to £1499 (I think). Sounds like you want to build up your own, but this sounds like a good value option. Not sure if you want 650 wheels (the full bike is 26" wheels) so may not do ...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think I would go for a Cotic BFe or Stanton Slackline frame over the Commencal.
    Steel hardtail frames seem to last longer when ridden hard plus the Cotic and Stanton are excellent hardcore hardtails.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Would certainly recommend the BFe, I've had one for a year now and I love it. Probably a built overbuilt for what I use it for nowadays, but it's an awesomely fun bike to ride.
  • Maybe a little biased but I recommend a Transition Trans Am, ace hard-core steel hardtail.
    Transition Trans AM 27.5
    Niner ROS9
  • Thanks for the suggestions, but I got this frame for free.
  • Barnseyyyy wrote:

Brakes: Shimano XT 160mm, are these still good for enduro use.

i'd think about stepping up to 180 rotors as persoanlly i find 160's too small.

if you are going to use it for gravity enduro events, have a think baout a dropper post as well, makes a big differnece
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Barnseyyyy wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I got this frame for free.
    So sell and use the money..... :wink:
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Barnseyyyy wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I got this frame for free.
    So sell and use the money..... :wink:
    I can't sell it, it was a present.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I wouldn't sell it. It's a good frame and will serve you well.

I agree with Sofaboy that a dropper post will be essential though, and that 180mm rotors might be best, at least on the front. You could even drop down to SLX brakes to be honest. Also, if you want to save a bit more cash maybe (and have arguably better shifting) look into Shimano 1x10 rather than SRAM 1x11.

I take it you know about Narrow Wide chainrings and no need for a chain guide etc?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:

I agree with Sofaboy that a dropper post will be essential though, and that 180mm rotors might be best, at least on the front. You could even drop down to SLX brakes to be honest. Also, if you want to save a bit more cash maybe (and have arguably better shifting) look into Shimano 1x10 rather than SRAM 1x11.

I take it you know about Narrow Wide chainrings and no need for a chain guide etc?

I have been looking a dropper post probably get the rockshox one, i have been looking at the saint groupset instead, It will be cheaper and put a narrow wide ring on it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Barnseyyyy wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

I have been looking a dropper post probably get the rockshox one, i have been looking at the saint groupset instead, It will be cheaper and put a narrow wide ring on it.

Saint is overkill - SLX works, is lighter than Saint (I think) and cheaper. Get tubeless ready wheels and tyres - having had mine for the summer they are fantastic.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SLX is lighter than Saint as the downhill sets (Saint and Zee) use a thicker axle through the BB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dropper posts aren't essential and they seem to fail more often on hardtails. Personally I wouldn't put one on a hardtail.