Winter road shoe recommendations please

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,516
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I've always put mtb pedals on my road bike and used my winter mtb boots and I've always suffered from hotspots after a few hours and I promised myself I'd sort this before this winter.

Thanks in advance
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    This is what I recently bought after decent feedback on this forum, albeit you need to shop around. I bought mine from Wiggle a few weeks back and paid just under £170.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-extre ... oad-boots/

Given weather down south of late, they have not yet been tested in winter conditions!

Peter
  • I gave up on the idea of winter shoes and just got overshoes - Pro Tarmac for less cold conditions and BBB neoprene for colder conditions. If it worked for the Highlands, it would probably be ok for the rest of the UK.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I gave up on the idea of winter shoes and just got overshoes - Pro Tarmac for less cold conditions and BBB neoprene for colder conditions. If it worked for the Highlands, it would probably be ok for the rest of the UK.

+1 to this, none of them are waterproof. I've tried the Shimano MW80s and my daughter recently spent a small fortune buying the Northwaves. Both let in water and then amusingly manage to hold onto this water creating a tepid foot bath. I suppose this proves that the lower part of the shoes are waterproof.

As above, I use overshoes and still get wet feet but keep warmer as well.
  • As above, I use overshoes and still get wet feet but keep warmer as well.

Yes - and they dry quicker too. I can dry a shoe and overshoe in the office in the day. My RW80s would still be wet.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    another for overshoes. I've tried the Northwave and they went back after my first ride and wet feet.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Overshoes and Sealskinz socks for me.
  • i use £10 neoprene overshoes from Planet X. i have had them for 2 winters and they are still going strong. 2 pairs of merino socks and overshoes just about do it. i use my sealskin socks when its wet. they do all dry in the office in the day. i don't see the point in shelling out £££'s for some winter shoes but then i'm tight :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I hate nearly breaking my neck every time I try hauling on/ off overshoes hence I'm going to try out the Northwave boots. It'll be a terrible own goal if they are as useless as implied above - particularly if I have to try and pull overshoes on top!! Willing to give it a shot though...

Peter
  • Planet X windproof overshoes and Defeet Woolie Boolies - although I've also had similarly toasty feet with Chapeau's magnificent merino socks.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    northpole wrote:
    I hate nearly breaking my neck every time I try hauling on/ off overshoes hence I'm going to try out the Northwave boots. It'll be a terrible own goal if they are as useless as implied above - particularly if I have to try and pull overshoes on top!! Willing to give it a shot though...

Peter

I have the Northwave boots and they do a good job of keeping my feet warm,albeit I don't go out when it's raining. If you do have a problem with water ingress, these may be useful...

http://www.drysuits.co.uk/Latex_Ankle_S ... le-ac1.htm
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    ^^This. I've got something similar I use with my Northwave GTX boots and they form an effective seal that stops water getting into the top of your boots. Paired with some Woolie Boolie socks they were brilliant last winter.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I gave up on the idea of winter shoes and just got overshoes - Pro Tarmac for less cold conditions and BBB neoprene for colder conditions. If it worked for the Highlands, it would probably be ok for the rest of the UK.

Similar here, I have Pro Tarnac for the wet conditions and BBB Heavy duty for very cold conditions. Haven't ever needed anything more.