New to MTB, just bought my first bike

Natofade
Natofade Posts: 19
edited November 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Hi all, after not riding since I was a teenager I decided that I needed to do something to keep my fitness up and the weight off in the winter, as I play cricket in the summer. After borrowing a road bike for a couple of weeks, and falling in love with riding (but not being in the traffic!), I elected to go for a mountain bike. Having no knowledge of bikes at all, I put the choice in the hands of the manager at Leisure Lakes Bikes in Newport, and he has set me up with a Cube Acid 29er. I'm using it for canal runs at present, trying to build my fitness, and will progress to trail riding and cross country type stuff as my confidence grows. I'm based less than a mile from the trails at Cwmcarn, so have a playground virtually on my doorstep, and am looking forward to getting out on them sooner rather later.

f67afa9a5644461b358c169c6d0f96a7.jpg

4246ed6687eed090ade5a50c07d692da.jpg

4471fc4958da29f25f50c0b968999240.jpg

Comments

• Just got mine back after it's first service today, love it. You might want to replace the saddle though ;)
  • Haven't found it too bad so far. I'm sure I'll be lured in by upgrades soon enough though :)
  • Craig24
    Craig24 Posts: 150
    Nice bike! Get on the trails, you'll wish you'd never waited.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Craig24 wrote:

Yup, it's a very nice bike and I agree, get it on the trails!

Canal paths are great for putting the miles in, but an easy going pedal through the woods will be much better for the soul and you may surprise yourself with your own fitness :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Craig24 wrote:

Canal paths are great for putting the miles in, but an easy going pedal through the woods will be much better for the soul and you may surprise yourself with your own fitness :)

Love the assertion that the woods are better for the soul! May have to test the theory...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Natofade wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Craig24 wrote:

Love the assertion that the woods are better for the soul! May have to test the theory...

Haha, do it! You can thank me later ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Natofade wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Craig24 wrote:

You are within spitting distance of Cwm Carn - get it dirty there for sure (although it may be worth building up a little fitness and skill before launching straight into that!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Natofade wrote:
    I'm using it for canal runs at present, trying to build my fitness, and will progress to trail riding and cross country type stuff as my confidence grows. I'm based less than a mile from the trails at Cwmcarn, so have a playground virtually on my doorstep, and am looking forward to getting out on them sooner rather later.

Lucky you - Cwmcarn is great, and now with 2 XC trails, plus 2 Downhill trails (with various options) there's enough there to keep you entertained for a long time to come. However, if your fitness isn't great then you may find the climbs at Cwmcarn a bit tricky to say the least - they're quite long, and severe at times.

My recommendation would be to pop up to the Forest of Dean VERY SOON (probably about 25 mins from you) - the Verderer's Trail is great fun, but it's also suitable for relative newcomers to the sport and it will let you build your skills and fitness.
  • You are within spitting distance of Cwm Carn - get it dirty there for sure (although it may be worth building up a little fitness and skill before launching straight into that!

Yup, literally 2 mins by car or 5 mins on the bike from Cwmcarn. Won't be doing anything silly, can't afford to get hurt enough that I can't work!
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Lucky you - Cwmcarn is great, and now with 2 XC trails, plus 2 Downhill trails (with various options) there's enough there to keep you entertained for a long time to come. However, if your fitness isn't great then you may find the climbs at Cwmcarn a bit tricky to say the least - they're quite long, and severe at times.

My recommendation would be to pop up to the Forest of Dean VERY SOON (probably about 25 mins from you) - the Verderer's Trail is great fun, but it's also suitable for relative newcomers to the sport and it will let you build your skills and fitness.

Thanks for the tip - a nice drive out followed by a bit of playtime sounds perfect! Will have to make some room in my diary somewhere down the line.