105 gear probs

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited November 2014 in Workshop
just bought used planet x pro carbon with ten speed 105 gears went out a couple of days ago all fine went out today all rear gears fine but front derailleur will not change down from big front ring to smaller ring when pressing on left gear to change front to smaller chainring nothing happens checked tension of cable to front derailleur all seems fine lubed inside hood and gear cables but still no luck this is my first road bike any ideas please ps the little front lever under hood does move but no action on moving cable thanks

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I suspect it is just the cable has pulled through the clamp on the front mech and needs resetting.
  • moggy12
    Hi thanks for the info is this a easy fix ? or will bike need to be taken to shop ? if easy fix any links to videos etc to show how its done ? as i'm new to road bikes thanks again
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    moggy12 wrote:
    Hi thanks for the info is this a easy fix ? or will bike need to be taken to shop ? if easy fix any links to videos etc to show how its done ? as i'm new to road bikes thanks again

Have a look at this video. Gives you the basics for FD set-up

http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/mainten ... lleur.html

However before you tackle the set-up I would do a detailed check of your cabling to make sure you don't have any frayed ends that are causing the inner to stick. That would lead to the problems you describe with the FD not returning to the small ring when the STI lever is activated. The FD spring should default to the small ring so if it's not doing that then it sounds like the inner cable is stuck somewhere
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    As in the post above the spring should pull it back onto the little ring, so it's not that the cable has slipped in the clamp. Follow the video so you can see how it all works.
    I would start by releasing the cable clamp on the mech. It should then spring down to the little ring, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.
    Then with the cable still disconnected check it is moving freely. This is the most likely I would say.
    If the cable is moving freely look at the shifter. It could just be the cable is badly routed in the shifter.
  • moggy12
    thanks guys for the link and info will investigate more
  • moggy12
    ok watch the vid has soon has I disconnected cable from front derailleur it drop onto smaller ring so that's fine but when pressing small lever to go from big front ring to smaller ring nothing still happens it feels has its not connected has moves from left to right very freely nothing in vid showing how to strip down left front hood to see if cable is still connected or something broke in side so how do I strip front hood down to check many thanks
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Punctuation is good.

No need yet to strip down the hood, and it's a fiddly job. Do all the basics. Does the mech have enough movement by hand to accommodate the range needed to shift from small to large & back again?

Is the indexing in the lever at it's minimum before you attach the cable? If you're on the last but one click before you start there's nowhere left to go. Pull the end of the disconnected cable whilst changing down, to get to the end of the indexing.

Assuming that's all ok, put it all together with a bit of oil down the cable outer, check that it's all moving freely by changing up & down a few times with the free end of the cable in your other hand, then connect it up at the mech. You have to get the cable the right side of the clamp on the 105 FD or it doesn't change at all well. From memory I can't recall which side works best, but there are only two options.

Edit to add that 105 [and Ultegra] rear
    shifters have a propensity for failure. Mine did, but not enough to stop working completely, the change down to small ring is abrupt but it happens. The best way to tell is to mimic changing up & down whilst pulling the other end of the cable.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    You will probably find that the cable has popped out of the slot at the shifter end. Loosen the cable from the drailleur. Pull lever rubber hood back and find cover plate - remove that (don't lose the little screws) and you should then be able to see cable end. Pop it back in slot and refit
  • More likely that the cable outter has come out of the frame stop, have you checked this?
  • moggy12
    ok tried all suggested took bike to lbs says a part in the left shifter has broken cant be mended so I replaced with £50 sora shifter as the shimano 105 shifters are only sold in pairs and £175 so all ok now thanks
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    moggy12 wrote:
    ok tried all suggested took bike to lbs says a part in the left shifter has broken cant be mended so I replaced with £50 sora shifter as the shimano 105 shifters are only sold in pairs and £175 so all ok now thanks

here, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-570 ... lever-set/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you fancy going back to full 105 I'm selling a set of really nice and clean 10 speed shifters in black plus a matching rear mech. All work perfect, shifters are really good nick (bit of wear but no scratches), mech has minor falling over scratches but all straight and works perfect.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • moggy12
    thanks for the offer but will keep the sora for now