VCUK Lifetime Membership + Free Jersey: Too good to be true?

FionaBiker
FionaBiker Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,
I'm new to road cycling but I'm looking to get into it in a big way. After spending many years commuting on a hybrid I have finally taken the plunge and bought a basic road bike - I don't want the "all the gear, no idea" tagline!

I've just spotted this 'lifetime membership' to VeloClub UK. Copied from the site:
"Nationwide Development team VeloClub UK (VCUK) aims to provide a natural and steady progression from Grass Roots to Gold Medals. It only cost £25 for a lifetime membership and you'll receive a FREE Team Jersey worth £45 in your chosen size/fit.

£25 for a 'Champion System' jersey plus a membership sounds great, the jersey design IMO looks amazing too :lol:
I don't really fancy joining my local club just yet as I really would stand out like a sore thumb :oops: .

Is this VeloClub UK offer too good to be true? I've read all the site and can't see a catch. I could just sign up and get the jersey for £25!! Then join my local club later on.

hmmm what do you guys think? :roll: They seem to have helped Nicole Cooke, Adam and Simon Yates when they were called 'maxgear racing team'

Here's the site : http://www.veloclubuk.com/#!about-vcuk/cnyw

Thanks
Fi

Comments

• Here's the Ladies Kit :D:D:D858f2c_6728ce9124194132bc297a9b7c521c3d.gif_srz_472_719_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_gif_srz

and Mens Kit
    858f2c_b56fe3aeabd94e859cd02650bea23585.gif_srz_472_719_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_gif_srz
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited November 2014
    TBH I would just buy the jersey you want and not bother with this offer unless you are thinking of development for racing etc, just my opinion.
    Don't be scared about joining a club if that's your thing, good clubs should cater for all ranges of cyclist.
    Enjoy your riding. :)
  • Hi,
    Think I am slightly scared of joining a local club to be honest. They all seem to be really into their cycling - and ride FAST. I've not found any female only clubs yet which I would find more approachable (sexist I know).

The member joining perks - discounts etc are quite appealing to me too, as well as the kit design
    (I wouldn't compete in their strava competitions just yet!)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If you think it's for you then go for it. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I saw lots of lady bikers out at the weekend - just a few years ago you'd never see any.

Find out the local cycling cafe and hang out there - I'm sure you'll find other ladies to cycle with or ask about clubs.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    When I've looked into the local clubs I've noticed they seem to have ladies-only rides (mainly because they seem to be at what would be the most convenient times for me!), could be worth seeing if your local clubs have anything similar?
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Do not be shy! If you are London based there are several clubs that I know who are keen to add female members.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    FionaBiker wrote:
    Hi,
    Think I am slightly scared of joining a local club to be honest. They all seem to be really into their cycling - and ride FAST. I've not found any female only clubs yet which I would find more approachable (sexist I know).

The member joining perks - discounts etc are quite appealing to me too, as well as the kit design
    (I wouldn't compete in their strava competitions just yet!)

It depends whereabouts in the country you are (im assuming it is in the UK) but there are some specific female clubs dotted around plus some of the larger mixed clubs will have female sections/rides.

More recently there are various 'Belles on Bikes' groups around the country these are more informal than a club but seem to be proving quite successful. You could also try Skyride Breeze as they are women only and have a ride leader.
  • Thanks for the nice words folks! I will contact a few local clubs to see if they have many female members.
    I'll let you know what I decide and if it go for this jersey - still love it !

Thanks
    Fi
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You could just put an ad up in the local cycling news, local newspaper and internet forums asking other women if they would like to join up for a ride which you get to set the parameters. Doesn't have to be a formal club or where you're the designated leader, just a bunch of like minded women to go for a ride. After you get enough compatible people to come the group can run itself. Also just talking to other women you see on bikes about your ride can help to recruit riders.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    gbs wrote:
    Do not be shy! If you are London based there are several clubs that I know who are keen to add female members.

I believe there are some which don't even charge membership to encourage female participation.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Also a few women's specific bike shops and cycling cafe's who are running women's specific rides or could help (Everyone Bikes, Bella Velo and Cadence Performance to name a few).

Outside London it's probably a bit harder (fewer clubs and smaller so fewer with established women's rides) but as a rule clubs are very keen to increase women's participation.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They're not giving that much away, it's only a jersey ...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    If it's any consolation, us chaps can find "clubs" a bit intimidating too. And not just cycling clubs - my boy's just started rugby, and whilst very friendly, there is very much a "club" mentality that is a bit daunting for noobs.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'll bet anyone a fiver that this is nothing more than an advert and that 'FionaBiker' is linked to Maxgear, or VCUK...
  • Imposter wrote:
    I'll bet anyone a fiver that this is nothing more than an advert and that 'FionaBiker' is linked to Maxgear, or VCUK...

What odds are you offering?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

short odds, I reckon...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

short odds, I reckon...

Thought you'd say that. It would need to be about 20-1 for me to have a punt.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    and when did a cyclist beome a biker all of a sudden?
    I must be past it.