Extra long setback seat post for brooks swift

Scoob84
Scoob84 Posts: 76
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Having had a few saddle sore issues on my commuter/winter bike/utility bike, I took the plunge on a brooks swift based on their glowing online endorsements and the promise of leathery armchair comfort on my rear end. The trouble is, none of these loyal fanboys ever mention that these brooks saddles have a very narrow range of fore and aft adjustment and I've now found this out after having bought one and fitted it to my bike.

Its currently set back as far as it can go, but needs another 15-20mm according to my bike fit report. My current seat post is a Deda RSX 02 with about 21mm of setback. I can't believe I'm the first to come across this problem and there has to be a solution. Are there seatposts out there with 40mm setback? I can't seem to find them on google, so this my a last ditch plea for help!

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Scoob84 wrote:
    Having had a few saddle sore issues on my commuter/winter bike/utility bike, I took the plunge on a brooks swift based on their glowing online endorsements and the promise of leathery armchair comfort on my rear end. The trouble is, none of these loyal fanboys ever mention that these brooks saddles have a very narrow range of fore and aft adjustment and I've now found this out after having bought one and fitted it to my bike.

Its currently set back as far as it can go, but needs another 15-20mm according to my bike fit report. My current seat post is a Deda RSX 02 with about 21mm of setback. I can't believe I'm the first to come across this problem and there has to be a solution. Are there seatposts out there with 40mm setback? I can't seem to find them on google, so this my a last ditch plea for help!

You aren't the first person to come across this problem. I was looking for a long setback post a while ago and found this http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... tback.html

Although if you've changed your saddle, then your setback numbers change aswell. So no point going by what the bike fitter told you. Also, if you've had a bike fit, why are you still getting saddle sores?
  • styxd wrote:
    You aren't the first person to come across this problem. I was looking for a long setback post a while ago and found this http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... tback.html

Although if you've changed your saddle, then your setback numbers change aswell. So no point going by what the bike fitter told you. Also, if you've had a bike fit, why are you still getting saddle sores?

Thanks for the reply, will certainly check that out.

I had a bike fit on my other bike and at the end asked the fitter to recommend adjustments to this bike in question. I bought the brooks saddle about 2 weeks prior to the bike fitting. Seems silly now i know with hindsight, but at the time i wasn't aware of the near half price deal for a retul fit at my LBS so wasn't planning on having a fit. Otherwise i'd like to think i would have waited until after the fit, but i'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to an impulsive bike component purchases, so maybe not!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'd just use the Brooks with your current seatpost and see how it feels. The saddle may force you to sit in a different position to how the fitter set you up so you might need to change the height of your bars aswell.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Canyon do a seatpost with 35mm setback, and I have to say it has a lot of flex in it which I think contributes to its comfortable ride.

http://www.canyon.com/en/accessories/#c ... 7&id=34795
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    styxd wrote:
    I'd just use the Brooks with your current seatpost and see how it feels. The saddle may force you to sit in a different position to how the fitter set you up so you might need to change the height of your bars aswell.
    +1. There is also the fact that you may need to put in 300+ miles on the Brooks before it breaks in and until then you may not know if it suits you or not. Just something to consider before spending more money on a new post.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    6wheels wrote:
    Canyon do a seatpost with 35mm setback, and I have to say it has a lot of flex in it which I think contributes to its comfortable ride.

http://www.canyon.com/en/accessories/#c ... 7&id=34795

€149.95! I love the fact that the review they quote describes it as inexpensive!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The VO setback post is great with Brooks - I have them on a couple of bikes. Looks pretty swish in silver, though I think they have started to do them in black now (whatever next?!?)
  • Problem solved. Just found a shop that sells the VO setback post in London. I'll be picking one of the up during the week!

Thanks Bikeradarites!