Bike advice - Mega TR, Spectral or Sight...

pgodwin555
pgodwin555 Posts: 66
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,
In the market for a new bike but keep going round in circles as to what to go for. I get set on a certain model then read up on all sorts of horror stories whether this be cracked frames or poor aftercare from customer service.

I am currently running a 2009 Trek ex 8 but looking for something with slacker geometry and more suspension. Local single track is Surrey Hills.

I have shortlisted Nukeproof mega tr 275 pro (2015) model - anyone got one of these? they are a bit on the heavy side so has been putting me off, but unsure if id actually notice. Assume customer service is good should anything go wrong?

Canyon Spectral 8 ex (2015) - the only thing putting me off is the poor service from their customer support and that should anything go wrong i.e. warranty work they are going to be a nightmare to deal with.

Norco Sight 7.2 carbon - but heard issues with frame cracks and when things do go wrong Evans cannot seem to get replacement parts in a timely fashion.

Appreciate any advice.
Cheers
Paul

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Mega for me, although I'd go AM personally. I am a little biased as I own an older one but the warranty situation would put me off the Canyon a little and if the Norco is known to crack then I'd probably rule that one out completely as it would put me off riding the sh*t out of it.

Assuming you've checked out the YT Capra and YT Wicked?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Yep checked the YT Capra but again seems to have frame issues. One block local had 6 cracks in the frame. Has put me off plus think the travel will be overkill for the trails.

I usually hire a Nukeproof Pulse in Morzine and have always been impressed how much of a hammering it can take.

Yes the AM does look good, could probably get away using that on yearly alps trip. Just the additional weight penalty is putting me off.

Its so difficult to choose just one bike lol
  • Personally I've got a Spectral 6.0 and have had plenty of help from their Customer Support team. I think a few folks on here have had some frame cracks appear and have had replacement parts or frames out to them pretty quickly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the Mega TR. Its a great ride. Customer service is good and spares availability isn't a problem. For surrey hills I would say the Mega AM or Capra are a bit overkill.
    The Mega TR is more capable than a bike with 130mm rear suspension should be and it's great fun to ride.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Cube Stereo 140 would be a good shout, just got a pretty decent review on here and on paper it looks like a great bike. the 140 HPA Race is a superbly specced bike for the money.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/full- ... -bike-2015