Argon 18 Krypton vs Spec Allez

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I currently ride a Specialized Allez (58) but have a bit of a dodgy back/shoulder and was looking for something a bit more relaxed. I have come across the Argon 18 Krypton which looks a good replacement. Anyone have any ideas if this would be a more relaxed ride?

Also thinking about a Roubaix, Canyon Endurace or a Canondale Synapse but the Krypton looked pretty good for a build and a bit more unusual.

Thanks
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The chaps at BR have had a look. Might also be worth considering the Secteur although I found it uninspiring (although that probably wasn't helped by me buying the wrong size).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Argon 18 make fine bikes, I've still got mine after 12 years and it still gives an excellent ride. Recommended, although a test ride on both is the way I would go personally.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As far as I remember (haven't checked) the Krypton has fairly typical racing geometry and is not intended as a more upright bike. I expect the headtube length will be much shorter than a Roubaix of similar frame size.
    The Argon 18 bikes do incorporate a novel headtube extending feature where you can add to the length of the headtube above the top tube junction with screw on spacers that raise the bearing position to maintain better stiffness compared to normal spacers but I'd be inclined to use that instead of spacers, not as well as them. If you want an upright position I think something like the Roubaix would be a better choice. The Endurace geometry is more of a middle ground. Shorter top tube and longer headtube (and longer fork) than their Ultimate bikes but still not hugely upright.
    I like the Argon 18 bikes and considered buying one last year but if relaxed geometry is the goal then check if it's really the right sort of geometry for you.
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    I've got a Krypton from 2011. when I was buying I wanted a relaxed position and was looking at the same choices as you are now. I had a bike fit where the stem was changed for a shorter one and it was flipped to raise the bars and it is exactly what I was wanting.

the thing that really swayed me to the Argon was the spec, it was built with full 105 v's lower specs on the spesh's.

IMG_7518.jpg
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I don't know where you are in the country, but if you were local to me (Essex) I own a 58cm Roubaix that you'd be welcome to try out to see how the geometry works for you. I also own a Tarmac and the Roubaix is noticeably relaxed compared to that.
  • Hi Gaz, thanks for the generous offer. Would be really helpful to try out. I am in East London (Wanstead), not sure how local this is to you?
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• Hi Ai_1,

I had a look at the geometry but to be honest can never really work out what is what and the Canadians seem to measure things slightly differently which adds to the problem!

http://www.argon18bike.com/documents/pd ... 015_v1.pdf

I read the BR review and it touted it as a sportive machine and with the 3D headset thing it seems like you can dial in something a bit more relaxed.

Not exactly sure how this would differ to something like the Roubaix? :?
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    Not far at all, what are the chances of that?! I'm just off the A127. If you want to try the Roubaix to see how it fits, just give me a shout :) it's my dry bike though so needs to be a dry day!!
  • Having owned both, I still have the Krypton, I can thoroughly recommend the Argon 18. Mine is this years, 2014, with full Ultegra and it is a joy to ride. I absolutely love it.