Downhill Beginners - North East

Baines88
Baines88 Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

just signed up because I didn't feel there was much info on DH for the north east or any accessible clubs.
I fancy taking this up as new hobby as i will be putting away the super-bike for winter and want to try something else on two wheels. so i have 2 simple questions:

1. Are there any clubs get togethers in Newcastle? im a 26y/o male.
2. what bike is the most sensible to buy fo a newbie don't think spending £3000 is wise?

be gratefull for any advice!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hamsterley would be the nearest major downhill trails to Newcastle I can think of.
    there are very few DH clubs just go along to trails and make a few friends.
    I would start with a used bike to see how you get on. It's not for everyone and you do need to spend on helmet and armour as well. There are plenty of good used DH bikes for around £1000 - £1500.
    For riding kit you will need a full face helmet, knee or knee and shin pads and upper body armour as well as good flat shoes, shorts, jerseys, gloves and goggles. Allow around £400 for kit.
    Downhill is the most exciting (in my opinion) type of mountain biking but also the most dangerous and most technical. Be prepared to break bones, it will happen and as your riding improves the crashes get bigger and faster!
  • Many thanks for your reply mate,

i suppose it was not coincidental me choosing downhill as i thought it would be the closes buzz to that of my gsxr 1000...
    been looking at used bikes but always hesitant buying used so im trying to learn spec on bikes. chain reactions are doing a good deal on a nukeproof scalp works out at about £1574 with the extra 10% they are offering.

shame there are no clubs but talking to people and Hamsterley seems to be a solid options. thanks again for your time and advice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Scalp is a brilliant bike. I have had mine a couple years and love riding it. The newer model has lower soec components (its a lot cheaper now) but the frame geometry and suspension design are near enough identical to the top model Nukeproof Pulse.
    I used to ride superbikes as well and the adrenaline buzz is similar but the techniques are very different. I found it difficult getting used to pushing the bike down in to corners and learning to control drifts. Big jumps (30 foot plus gaps) give a rush that superbikes can't match though! Theres also the freedom of not having a licence to worry about and tyres that don't cost £400 for a pair.
  • Just confirming what Rockmonkey said.
    No downhill specific clubs around here really. It's all natural trails and woodland. No 30 foot gaps, but some great technical riding if you know where to find it :wink:
    I know that there are a group of riders who have built a load of jumps in the dene near me. Seen them a couple of times on a weekend, but they are a group of mates rather than an organisation.

Hamsterley is your only local choice, unless you have a car and are willing to travel.
    There is a group based there - The Hamsterley Trailblazers - might be worth contacting them for a few places to ride. http://www.hamsterley-trailblazers.co.uk/
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)