Shoes for narrow, shallow feet

manxshred
manxshred Posts: 295
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I am battling with my current shoes and am looking for some suggestions for replacements.
I currently wear 4 year old Specialized BG Pro road shoes in size 46, and Shimano XC50 MTB in size 47.

I have to put a second inner sole into both of these shoes to take up some of the volume, and even then I am at the limits of the velcro for tightening, and in the shimano's, on the last click on the buckle.
My feet still feel like they are moving vertically and horizontally in the shoe, and the heel support is not great.

So I measured up my feet as described on the Bont website and came up with 285mm lengh for both feet , and 98 and 100mm width. On the Bont fitting tool, I am border line on the narrow shoe (it looks like the recomendation for normal is from 100) which means if I fit the normal there will be a lot of space as I am at the bottom of the fitting.

I'm also not sure about their mtb shoes so I'm looking for some recommendations. Unfortunately I cannot easily get somewhere to try on (that involves a plane or ferry) so would like some recommendations for people with similar feet.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm trying to picture what 'narrow, shallow feet' in size 47 actually look like...
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Sidi are fairly narrow and low volume. Mavic are even narrower.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Agree with Styxd. Have tried quite a few shoes in 46/46.5 and narrowest have been Sidi and Mavic. Only problem with Mavic is that the cleats tend to position quite far forward.
  • styxd
    Mccaria wrote:
    Agree with Styxd. Have tried quite a few shoes in 46/46.5 and narrowest have been Sidi and Mavic. Only problem with Mavic is that the cleats tend to position quite far forward.

Cleat position on the Mavics is bizarre since the current trend seems to be further rearward. The holes must be a good 20mm further forward than the likes of Shimano/Giro/Bont
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,035
    My feet may be similar - to get something long enough it tends to be baggy and loose at the heel. I currently wear Shimanos in 47 and I got a pair of Fiziks which feel ok off the bike but haven't got round to cycling in them yet. I need something that isn't too narrow in the toe box just narrow at the heel and as you say quite sallow.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have narrow feet and Sidi were the best fit by far. I'm using Dragon 3 as I like SPD cleats and keeping the option of walking across the cafe's polished floor.

The carbon fibre sole plate cannot be bent, giving perfect power transfer, evenly through the whole of your foot. Uber comfy on 100 mile rides and look pretty good too.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Has anyone tried the Giro range? They also seem to come up narrow in most reviews.
  • styxd
    ManxShred wrote:
    Has anyone tried the Giro range? They also seem to come up narrow in most reviews.

Giro a pretty narrow, but they have a bit more volume than Sidi
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Giro are definitely narrow as long as you don't get one of the HV (high volume) models.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    ManxShred wrote:
    I am battling with my current shoes and am looking for some suggestions for replacements.
    I currently wear 4 year old Specialized BG Pro road shoes in size 46, and Shimano XC50 MTB in size 47.

I have to put a second inner sole into both of these shoes to take up some of the volume, and even then I am at the limits of the velcro for tightening, and in the shimano's, on the last click on the buckle.
    My feet still feel like they are moving vertically and horizontally in the shoe, and the heel support is not great.

So I measured up my feet as described on the Bont website and came up with 285mm lengh for both feet , and 98 and 100mm width. On the Bont fitting tool, I am border line on the narrow shoe (it looks like the recomendation for normal is from 100) which means if I fit the normal there will be a lot of space as I am at the bottom of the fitting.

I'm also not sure about their mtb shoes so I'm looking for some recommendations. Unfortunately I cannot easily get somewhere to try on (that involves a plane or ferry) so would like some recommendations for people with similar feet.

It sounds like we both share the same problem, I'm a 46/47 with narrow low volume feet. I've also a high arch which collapses under load when pedalling making the shoe feel like it's too loose.

My solution was to get Specialized green footbeds which support the arch, and with those I can pedal with hardly any tension on the Velcro straps. I'm still feeling a bit of movement so have some varus wedges on order which will hopefully cure that.

I wear Fizik R3 shoes in 46 and Bontrager RXL in 47, both shoes are quite narrow, the later more so.

Do you have high arches?
  • I think I have medium to high arches. I have a definite gap under the inside of my foot, but the outside does touch the floor.
    In my road shoes I use a sidas custom insole, but I find that my foot still slides side to side, or rotates toe out very easily. This is on top of the specialized insole in the shoe and my toes still have lots of room and I need to do up the velcro very tight.
  • Elfed
    ManxShred wrote:
    I think I have medium to high arches. I have a definite gap under the inside of my foot, but the outside does touch the floor.
    In my road shoes I use a sidas custom insole, but I find that my foot still slides side to side, or rotates toe out very easily. This is on top of the specialized insole in the shoe and my toes still have lots of room and I need to do up the velcro very tight.

Those Specialized insoles are quite thick, could you go down one shoe size?
  • I managed to try some Giro Trebble shoes in size 46 today and they were a lot snugger than my current shoes. I might give Giro a try and see how it goes.
  • styxd
    Another option for you: DMT Vega.
  • Elfed
    ManxShred wrote:
    I managed to try some Giro Trebble shoes in size 46 today and they were a lot snugger than my current shoes. I might give Giro a try and see how it goes.

The Bontrager RXL shoes are quite snug.