Tyre wobble after OTB action

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right, had a bit of an off today. Tried a different line and tried to use a root as bit of a berm but.......it ripped the front tyre off the rim and threw me OTB and down the trail about 15'. Anyway, couldn't get it re inflated with my gash hand pump (even with a tube in) eventually got it to a point where it would push ok but it had an almighty wobble on it where it was rubbing the fork.

Assumed I had destroyed the wheel, took it to my LBS to see if it was salvageable and it turns out the rim is true, it's the tyre that's out. Inspected it and remounted it and all seems ok. So......

Is there anything I can do to try and rectify this or is the tyre wrecked?

THE TYRE IS A MAXXIS HR2 29" 2.3 EXO TR

Thanks for taking the time

CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it all seems OK what's the problem?

Or if it's not OK what does the tyre look like?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the tyre bead or sidewall but its still wobbling like crazy.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I'd probably get a new tyre

you could also try putting the pressure up to max and leaving it for a while to see if it corrects any fold.
  • Caveman_Chris
    Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
    edited November 2014
    POAH wrote:
    I'd probably get a new tyre

you could also try putting the pressure up to max and leaving it for a while to see if it corrects any fold.
    I've just set it back up tubeless with 60psi in as per usual.

Seems very strange, never heard of this before. Maybe the tyre has stretched and now has a slight bulge on it?

Might email maxxis to see if they have had this before, and try and blag a new tyre ;) haven't even had this one 5 months.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you sure it's seated on the rim properly?
    Deflate it make sure its seated correctly and re inflate to a high pressure.
  • Speak to rubez?
  • Finally decided that it's defiantly the tyre. Had it on and off the rim several times making sure that it's mounted on different parts of the rim and it still wobbles in the same place (checked with a puncture repair kit crayon..........science)

Mounted my 'spare' HR2 TR EXO and it's near perfect.

Been on to the maxxis uk distributor, so we'll see how that goes.

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er