Fifty Five Weeks Later......

cycologist
cycologist Posts: 721
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
..... I get out on my bike again. :D
Just over a year ago I was hit head-on by a car and spent a month in hospital with a broken neck, broken back, broken kneecap and seperated quadriceps muscles. It's been a slow recovery but this afternoon I finally took my new bike out for a spin. I did about 17 miles and felt pretty damn good. The air was cool and the sun shone brightly. After a nervous start I found myself laughing out loud with sheer joy at riding again.
As soon as my legs have recovered a little, I'm going out out celebrate. Cancel tomorrow.
Two wheels good,four wheels bad

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Great news....

Well done.

A happy story for once!!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    cycologist wrote:
    Just over a year ago I was hit head-on by a car and spent a month in hospital with a broken neck, broken back, broken kneecap and seperated quadriceps muscles. It's been a slow recovery but this afternoon I finally took my new bike out for a spin. I did about 17 miles and felt pretty damn good. The air was cool and the sun shone brightly. After a nervous start I found myself laughing out loud with sheer joy at riding again.
    As soon as my legs have recovered a little, I'm going out out celebrate. Cancel tomorrow.

Post of the year! :D:D:D
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I'm glad you're back cycling again.

I fractured my leg a few ,months ago and cycling is now one of the only sports I can do well (as it's non weight bearing and allows for a difference in leg strength). I'm still having difficulty running. I've read about guys who started cycling only as rehab but soon got addicted!

You can't beat cycling, that feeling of going fast(er) with let effort and the freedom to cover miles. I love finding an empty B -road and being by totally by myself for an hour. If there's a small incline I dream of being Indruain or LeMond cycling up the Alpe d'Heuz or Mont Ventoux. On a long (for me) cold ride, that feeling of making it back into the hot shower gives me a great sense of achievement.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481
    I've got a suspicion that if that ever happened to me I wouldn't be able to get back on my bike. Well done on getting back on and glad you're enjoying it.
  • cycologist wrote:

Brilliant enjoy
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Well done mate, brilliant to hear you're back on it!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    audience-cheer_2321841b.jpg

Great news and best wishes on your continuing recovery
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Fantastic news!
  • That is a great news story!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Excellent, that's really cheered me up.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Good to hear... :D
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Great stuff - just got over an injury which kept me off for 12 weeks and know exactly what you mean when you say you found yourself laughing out loud - great feeling. Sounds like you must have had a terrible time - welcome back to the roads. :D
  • Pross wrote:
    I've got a suspicion that if that ever happened to me I wouldn't be able to get back on my bike.

I must admit to being a bit apprehensive to start with and only intended to ride to the end of the street to get a feel for the new bike. There's a steep downhill at the end of the street and when I got there I just gritted my teeth and went for it.

Thanks to all for the support and encouragement. It's good to be back.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Brilliant, well done and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Enjoy. Great to hear you are back on it !
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Great news. Must be great to have that feeling of doing something we can all take for granted at times. After spending a lot of time visiting my dad in hospital over this year, I have often thought what a terrifying thing it must be to realise that once you fall ill, you might not get out of that hospital or not be able to do simple things like walk or ride a bike again. Not something you have to consider until the day you have an accident or your condition deteriorates due to disease. A good thing to remind yourself of when on a ride.... suck in those good times because it's not guaranteed.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Nice one :) , don't think I could get back on if that happened to me. :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    excellent
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Well done that man.

That's some recovery - both physical and mental 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • That's great to hear/read, well done you!!
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Great news and well done on the recovery
  • Brilliant ... Warms the cockles.

Good on ya :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Well done, great to hear! :D
  • Fifty-five weeks?

tumblr_men4bc2uJk1rklcfko1_250.gif

Welcome back!
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations