Upgrade Dilemma: Groupset or new Bike?

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I have a CAAD10 which is a awesome piece of machinery.

I don't have any any plans to change it as it is perfect for me, however as you think about 'what is next' it got me wondering - shall I get another bike?

The logical thing would be to go full Carbon but I don't see this as a major advantage point because the CAAD10 is more than light enough and good enough to compete with a Carbon bikes so I'm not sure what I'll be getting other than a slightly better ride, right?

So, the other angle I'm now thinking of is upgrading the CAADs 105 groupset to a full on Dura Ace instead. I have already put on 50mm Carbon Clinchers and by changing the whole groupset would, for me, make it look and ride like a new bike.

Obviously the change of groupset would be a cheaper option but for the record this isn't really about the money etc, just a situation where I'm thinking which will be the most logical choice to make.

What do you think guys?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Logic says new groupset eventually, heart says get another new bike. :)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Groupo for me.

In the past year I've upgraded wheels and groupset - now looks and feels like a completely different bike and has helped dampen the 'need' for a new steed.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you like the bike and want to keep it a group set upgrade would make sense. Just be careful of spending a lot doing up a bike when you could sell it and buy a better new bike.
  • SR7492
    Thanks guys!

I think the Groupset upgrade is a sensible thing to do; I'm not too fussed on having a new bike especially when the current one does the job.

On the Groupset; I know I mentioned Dura Ace but then I thought what about a complete change to SRAM?

I had a quick look and I think SRAM Red 22 is the Dura Ace equivalent; has anyone moved from Shimano to SRAM; would like to know the experience etc.

Thanks!
  • diamonddog
    I have SRAM on 2 road bikes and Shimano on a turbo bike, I prefer the double tap changing method on SRAM to the 2 lever changing on Shimano but both do the job.
    Whichever you choose both are good groupsets, it's just a matter of which method of changing you prefer.
    SRAM Force 22 is the equal of Red 22 for changing the only difference is Force is slightly heavier overall.
  • SR7492
    Thanks Diamond.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a total change from Shimano. The current 105 set is fine, I really like it but if I'm going to do a decent upgrade then changing to SRAM RED will be totally new which will be a nice change.
  • diamonddog
    Take a look at the weight and price difference between Force and Red, being from Yorkshire (as I am) you will no doubt appreciate the chance of saving some money. :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go for Red - I have Red and Dura Ace and prefer Red- aside from being lighter and looking (IMO) nicer, it's a snappier, faster positive shifting action. Hoods are a nicer shape as well.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • upgrade our groupset, then when the time is right and should you want to, upgrade the frame.
  • SR7492
    Thanks guys - looks like if the upgrade happens it'll be the groupset with SRAM Red.

:-)