Importing from BikeDiscount

samg123
samg123 Posts: 275
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
So there's a really great deal on Cube Cross frames on BikeDiscount at the moment: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cros ... wg_id-6868

The only issue is that they won't send to the UK due to 'legal restrictions'. Any creative suggestions on how to get round this? Considering getting it sent to a mate in Nice and then forwarded on- will probably cost me a fortune in postage though...

Comments

• Even within the EU, some brands try to be clever and impose their own nation by nation distribution. It is technically illegal and should be challenged.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Never tried them but what about a forwarding service like;
    http://www.mailboxde.com/pricelist.html
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It typically has to do with distributors as certain ones service specific areas. Whilst it may be illegal to impose such a restriction, their reseller contract can be cancelled as a result.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I believe such agreements where a manufacturer has regional distributors across Europe prevent the distributors advertising outside of their region, but I believe they can't be stopped from accepting an order from anywhere in the EU. Although it is several years since I underwent anti-trust compliance training.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Odd - check again as I bought a Cube cross frame from there a couple of weeks back - as did another poster from here (see the CX board).
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just went to the site and see the automated message - might be worth checking with them by email.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Specialized are good at it. Just a guess, but check their shoes.

Agree, its probably illegal. Its price fixing to stop cross boarder selling
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • There's also the dealership agreements but I doubt they can stop you ordering it. For instance, in the UK , Halfords have exclusivity on Boardman bikes whereas I believe Wiggle sell in the rest of the world. I spdont know where the law stands on these competing interests.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The EU was created to allow free trade between member countries.

It is completely illegal to refuse to sell you an item because you are in another member country.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    The EU was created to allow free trade between member countries.

It is completely illegal to refuse to sell you an item because you are in another member country.

I assume there will be a reason like 'shipping restrictions' though. Aerosols for example.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Markwb79 wrote:
    The EU was created to allow free trade between member countries.

I assume there will be a reason like 'shipping restrictions' though. Aerosols for example.

And legality of some things like flick knives.

However they don't have to declare that thye refusal is on geographic grounds they can just say I don't want to sell to YOU.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I found this when looking for a cheap cx frame:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Vortr ... 14-p38742/
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    samg123 wrote:
    So there's a really great deal on Cube Cross frames on BikeDiscount at the moment: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cros ... wg_id-6868

The only issue is that they won't send to the UK due to 'legal restrictions'. Any creative suggestions on how to get round this? Considering getting it sent to a mate in Nice and then forwarded on- will probably cost me a fortune in postage though...

Send me the money and I will buy it for you. I promise to have it for you buy Christmas :P