Pedal problem or chain suck?

mlgt
mlgt Posts: 366
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I've got a canyon endurance which is around a month old.
Having ridden in the heavy rains last week and half term I took the family away on holiday.
I cleaned and regreased chain and gave the bike a full wipedown etc, jockey wheels free from crud, cassette area wiped in the crevices, deflated tyres to check for debris and reinflated etc.

This morning I got on the bike and the pedal wasn't allowing me to move, when I tried to troubleshoot the problem I still couldn't figure it out.

The wheel can coast so its not the rear hub or cassette. I haven't done anything to the bike apart from given it a clean. Nothing was taken off the bike and I let it stand in the spare room for a week.

I took the crank out to check the BB and the rear wheel off and the crank allows rotation, but when I put the wheel back in. Same problem occurs.

Any advice please?
N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Do the jockey wheels move okay?

Have you checked the chain for stiff links?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    When removed, does the rear wheel spin ok in your hand?
    Does the the cassette/freehub rotate freely and then engage the other way?
    Have you tried another wheel ?
    Is the chain itself routed correctly within the jockey wheels?
  • mlgt
    Yes everything moves but haven't checked the chain properly as I took my other bike to work.
    So I guess I will have a look this evening. What can cause a stiff link? Ive never experienced this before and the fact that its a new bike and I cleaned and lubed the chain? :(

I didn't have time to really check, I spent 10-15 mins and then swapped my pedals over onto the old bike.

Will give it all a try tonight!
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    Ive managed to make it move as before, but its really bizarre this has happened.

Edit. I played around to fit my muguard and it got stuck again and I couldnt make the pedal/chain back pedal.

Nothing has been done to the bike.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Had my sl 9.0 lock up last week, the chain had somehow forced itself between the small ring and the chain catcher.

Doubt very much if it is that, a couple of pics may be helpful ( of front and rear mechs).
  • mlgt wrote:
    I played around to fit my mudguard.
    mlgt wrote:
    Nothing has been done to the bike.

One of those two statements isn't true!

It's one of:

The bottom bracket
    The rear wheel
    The rear derailleur
    The chain itself

Get a helper to hold the chain away from the front chainring. Can you rotate the crank freely forwards and backwards? If you can't, it's the bottom bracket.

Take the rear wheel off, and making sure you don't drag the chain along the chainstay, turn the pedals forwards and backwards. If you can, it's the rear wheel.

Put the rear wheel back, get a helper to hold the chain away from the two jockey wheels (tricky but possible), and turn the pedals. If you can, it's the rear derailleur, otherwise it's the chain.

If it's the chain, it could be a stiff link that is getting "stuck" as it goes through the derailleur, which might explain why it only sometimes sticks. It could also be a small stone that is wedged between two plates.
  • mlgt
    Hi all,

Managed to figure it out. It was the mudguard racking that had been pushed down and causing the tyre to rub. Its now working after I moved the arms and given it more clearance. My assumption is that when I lock the bike the arms have moved over time. But Im now back on the bike and enjoying it :)

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know what to look out for. But was such a rush to get to work :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0