Any feedback on the Rapha Race Cape or the Mavic HC H2O?

Hindmost
Hindmost Posts: 57
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I want to invest in a decent waterproof winter jacket with a more aggressive, race fit, and ideally one that can fit in a jersey pocket. I'm giving myself a £250 budget as I want something that will do the job and last a long time.

I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3:-

Mavic HC H2O
http://www.mavic.co.uk/apparel-men-road-jackets-hc-h2o-jacket-3#.VFdZGPmsXPo

Rapha Pro Team Race Cape
http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-race-cape/product/RNC03

Vulpine Rain Jacket
http://www.vulpine.cc/Shop/Mens/Jackets-Gilets/ICAT1000/MENS-ORIGINAL-RAIN-JACKET/ITM1126

Can any owners of the above let me know what they think? I'm leaning towards the Rapha Cape because it will fit in a jersey pocket (apparently the Mavic won't). I also understand that the Vulpine Rain Jacket isn't even completely waterproof.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    What's an aggressive jacket? One that strangles you or boil in the bag?

I don't even want to think about aggressive shorts.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I can give my opinion of the rapha race cape, I have one, but it's the least used of my winter clothing. I ride in all weather, but I do run cold so like to be warm and comfortable.
    I tend to wear a Rapha Pro Team Jacket if there is light rain about, if it then gets heavy I have a Castelli waterproof that I put on over the top. I do boil in the bag, but prefer that to being cold.
    I find my pro race cape is great for this time of year, but once the temperature and windchill gets too low then it's not warm enough for me.
    On really cold mornings it's the rapha winter Jersey and my Castelli waterproof.
    If you run warm and would be ok wearing a baselayer and the race Cape on cold mornings then it would be a great quality addition. The fit is "aggressive", no room for lots of layers if you get the proper race fit.
    Hope this helps?
  • GGBiker wrote:
    What's an aggressive jacket?

Aggressive fit - more aerodynamic and close. For racing, etc.
    w00dster wrote:
    I can give my opinion of the rapha race cape, I have one, but it's the least used of my winter clothing. I ride in all weather, but I do run cold so like to be warm and comfortable.
    I tend to wear a Rapha Pro Team Jacket if there is light rain about, if it then gets heavy I have a Castelli waterproof that I put on over the top. I do boil in the bag, but prefer that to being cold.
    I find my pro race cape is great for this time of year, but once the temperature and windchill gets too low then it's not warm enough for me.
    On really cold mornings it's the rapha winter Jersey and my Castelli waterproof.
    If you run warm and would be ok wearing a baselayer and the race Cape on cold mornings then it would be a great quality addition. The fit is "aggressive", no room for lots of layers if you get the proper race fit.
    Hope this helps?

Thanks - this is very helpful. I also have the Pro Team Jacket and when I tried the cape on in the shop I found that it just fits over the top of the jacket without restricting movement so this might work for me.
    I'm drawn to the cape because it fits nicely in a jersey pocket, but I hesitate because of the price of the cape compared to the Mavic.

Can any owners of the Mavic HC H2O confirm if it will fit in a jersey pocket?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Mavic HC H2O is a jacket that you put on the start of a cold, wet ride and keep on for the duration. It's not designed to be removed or be portable. You wouldn't wear a jersey underneath it, just base layers. I have had the black and red one for a couple of years, and it is a good jacket, but to be honest I am not overly impressed by its waterproof abilities.
  • bobones wrote:
    The Mavic HC H2O is a jacket that you put on the start of a cold, wet ride and keep on for the duration. It's not designed to be removed or be portable. You wouldn't wear a jersey underneath it, just base layers. I have had the black and red one for a couple of years, and it is a good jacket, but to be honest I am not overly impressed by its waterproof abilities.

Thanks - that's what I needed to know. I'll probably go with the Rapha Race Cape in that case.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I have a Helium H20 jacket - I'd echo what the other Mavic user has said, although I would say mine's pretty waterproof - however I wouldn't expect a jacket to be 100% waterproof, especially if you want some breathability. The main thing is that you're warm, and my Helium H20 does keep me warm.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I see you have made your decision earlier, but I wrote this this morning and forgot to post, so here it is anyway!

I can only give an opinion on the Mavic jacket - I bagged a bargain 2 years ago from Ribble for around 75 which was too good to turn down.

It's a lovely bit of kit, completely waterproof in my experience, and the vents work very well for me.

I have worn it in some pretty wet and cold conditions, and it has proved a very useful garment, no complaints at all, and if I am going to go for a 30 or 40 miler in the colder months and it's already raining, this would be the jacket I would choose.

I tend to wear mine over a jersey rather than a base layer.

Not convinced it is packable though, it would still be pretty big imho, but I could be wrong.
    Rapha has free returns I think, so maybe choose somewhere that has the Mavic with free returns, and compare at home.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    I see you have made your decision earlier, but I wrote this this morning and forgot to post, so here it is anyway!

I can only give an opinion on the Mavic jacket - I bagged a bargain 2 years ago from Ribble for around 75 which was too good to turn down.

It's a lovely bit of kit, completely waterproof in my experience, and the vents work very well for me.

I have worn it in some pretty wet and cold conditions, and it has proved a very useful garment, no complaints at all, and if I am going to go for a 30 or 40 miler in the colder months and it's already raining, this would be the jacket I would choose.

I tend to wear mine over a jersey rather than a base layer.

Not convinced it is packable though, it would still be pretty big imho, but I could be wrong.
    Rapha has free returns I think, so maybe choose somewhere that has the Mavic with free returns, and compare at home.

Thanks for the feedback anyway. I eventually plan on getting a rain jacket that I would wear for whole ride (ie. not have to pack) and the Mavic is high on the list. Definitely can't afford to get two in a month though.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Not got one myself but it's on the list of three I'm considering.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-survival-goretex-winter-jacket/
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Daniel B wrote:
    I

There are a couple of versions of the HC H20. The self coloured ones from a couple of years ago that were on offer were made from Gore-tex Paclite. Mine (black and red one) was a later version and the fabric is Cocona Xcelerator, which is softer than the Gore-tex material. I really do like the jacket in terms of comfort, fit, features, breathability, just never convinced on waterproofing. I believe the Helium jacket is a much lighter affair possible suitable for packing.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Mavic is a good winter jacket (mine is waterproof) & pretty breathable but it does not fit in a back pocket, or even come close.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Another (mk1 Goretex Paclite) Mavic H20 user here. My thoughts are that the fit is fantastic on me (UK Small/International medium and I have a 33" waist and 37.5" chest), the vents and pockets are useful and it's certainly waterproof. However, I'm not convinced about its breathability when working hard.

I tried a Sportful Survival jacket, looked great but I was between sizes. The Specialized Evolution Goretex jacket looked similar and could be had for buttons recently, there might still be some about (fit seemed a little more generous).

Currently using a OneTen Pioggia Event jacket, again, can get damp from the inside when working hard. If it were me I'd be looking at a Castelli Muur or Castelli Pocket Liner if I had the dosh.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    bobones wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    I

There are a couple of versions of the HC H20. The self coloured ones from a couple of years ago that were on offer were made from Gore-tex Paclite. Mine (black and red one) was a later version and the fabric is Cocona Xcelerator, which is softer than the Gore-tex material. I really do like the jacket in terms of comfort, fit, features, breathability, just never convinced on waterproofing. I believe the Helium jacket is a much lighter affair possible suitable for packing.

Ah fair play, this I was unaware of, apologies op.

Mine is blue, and this review, plus the price, made me go for it:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-mavic-hc-h2o-jacket-12-45525/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    My Rapha race Cape has been great.... Works great with base layer or for colder days another Jersey or the pro team jacket.....

It packs away pretty small too
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    bobones wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    I

The Helium will pack and go into a back pocket - only just though!
  • Did 35 miles in torrential rain this morning and about 7C temp. I had a long sleeve mesh base layer on, one of the new Pro Team long sleeve jerseys and a Race Cape. The rain soaked my water resistant bibs and legging and penetrated my water proof over shoes but the water kept beading and rolling off the jacket. When I got home the good lady opened the door and said 'look at your jacket, you're completely dry!' - and I was :-) What's more there wasn't a spot of sweaty condensation on the inside either and both inner layers were bone dry. I'm mightily impressed. I think I might have found rain jacket nirvana...