Beginner help?

jkbmxjk
jkbmxjk Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi, i've got a couple of issues I would like help with if any of you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

First off, i've just got the Specialized Rockhopper Hardtail MTB and I came from racing BMX so I've never really used gears too much etc.

When I roll the bike backwards, either on one wheel or push it backwards anyway the gears seem to like move back and go out of gear kinda thing? is this meant to happen? if not how can I prevent this as it's pretty annoying when getting myself in an alley way and having to lift bike onto one wheel and roll back or whatever.

Secondly if i'm mountain biking and i'm stood up pedalling, how am I meant to change gear without either the chain 'slipping' so it feels or the gears feeling like they're crunching, am I meant to sit down and change gear or what?

Thank you.

Jack :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is nothing to control which gear the chain migrates to when it's going backwards, it's normal and there is nothing you can do about it except learn which gear you can leave it in when it doesn't move, that will be around in the middle and depend on which front chainwheel you are using.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jkbmxjk wrote:
    Secondly if i'm mountain biking and i'm stood up pedalling, how am I meant to change gear without either the chain 'slipping' so it feels or the gears feeling like they're crunching, am I meant to sit down and change gear or what?
    You shouldn't be changing gears when standing up. I only pedal standing up when i need a boost up a small incline. 90% of the time I'm sat down, spinning through the gears.
    If you try to change gear while pedalling hard, there is a good chance they will crunch - the chain will be taut.
    For a slick gear change you need to know what gear you want to be in before you need it and ease off the pedalling for a split second as the gear changes.
    Putting undue pressure on the chain, creates that ugly sound and at worst will snap the chain.

If it still crunches when you aren't pedalling hard, the gears need fettling.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If your gears are well set up there's no problem shifting while out of the saddle. Try to back off the load you are putting through the pedals a little but no need to be in the saddle for shifting.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If your gears are well set up there's no problem shifting while out of the saddle. Try to back off the load you are putting through the pedals a little but no need to be in the saddle for shifting.

This ^^

If the gears are slipping/crunching then they probably need some minor adjustment. I'd hazard a guess the cable just needs tightening as they do stretch from new.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More usually the outers compress (cable into end caps) not the inner stretch.

You can't pedal at full torque and expect the chain to go from one gear to another without some problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    We're obviously not talking full torque, but you can easily change gear while standing if you unweight the pedals as you do so. I hardly ever sit down on my Mega as the seat is usually slammed out the way but I do change gears without mincing the drivetrain. Doesn't take long to learn how to do it :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ChouTung wrote:
    about first,why you want backwards?

Just sometimes easier to manouver the bike when not riding it.

Thank you everyone been a great help