Cycling Hemet Recommendation

SeanEP3
SeanEP3 Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, im sure there has been many a thread like this previous, but I will do another.

I would like some recommendations for a suitable road cycling helmet. I would prefer a "slim" looking one, as to avoid the mushroom look.

Do they come in sizes, or is it one size fits all?

Many thanks

Comments

• They come in sizes and shapes vary between brands best to go to a shop and try on a few to see what brand and size suits you, me I love my Giro Aeon.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Have a look on the internet - there's loads...
  • Imposter wrote:

I had noticed, hence I was asking for a recommendation.

the only place local to me is Halfords, and I wasn't impressed with their range.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    SeanEP3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I had noticed, hence I was asking for a recommendation.

the only place local to me is Halfords, and I wasn't impressed with their range.

There are other shops and lots of them are on the internet. Helmet choice is generally a combination of personal preference and fit. Seriously, it's not a question that anyone can answer.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Trying to be a bit more helpful, many people on this forum recommend the Kask Mojito for its non-mushroom appearance, light weight and excellent adjusting system. There have been previous forum debates about which helmets don't look like mushrooms and the Mojito tends to be the one recommended. Cycling Plus mag recently gave the Mojito a best in test rating. I have never tried one but I would certainly consider it. My personal helmet is a Giro Aeon. It' s really light but does look a bit mushroomy.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I like a helmet which can have the internal support and chin straps easily and quickly adjusted to suit my head. Its a pain in the ass to continually adjust straps, clips and buckles to accommodate hair growth. :D None are really perfect but some are better than others.
  • Been a Giro user until recently. First a Monza, which got trashed in an 'off' at 38mph. Replaced it with an Ionos that is now a little 'tired'.

After some considerable searching I decided to go for a Kask Mojito. Liked the look. Liked the fit. But as many will always say, and I fully agree, try before you buy - helmet choice has to be yours and not based solely on the preferences of others.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As with bikes, fit is the most important thing. Weight, appearance and other features are secondary.
    Most helmets come in more than one size. Some do not. Sizes might be given as something like: S/M (54-57cm), L/XL (58-61cm). Meaning the S/M size would suit head circumferences of 54 to 57cm and L/Xl for 58-61cm. That's the circumference of your head measure around the largest point from your forehead and above your ears.
    However this doesn't tell you the whole story. The circumference doesn't tell you the internal shape of the helmet shell and harness. Some are quite circular. Others are more oval (longer than they are wide). The shape that suits will depend on your head. The adjustment straps on most only really adjust the length while others, like Laser, adjust all the way around and adapt to your head shape to some extent. You'll need to try on several to figure out what feels comfortable and what doesn't. I agree with previous comments that Kask seem good. I tried a couple and unusually their different models seem to suit different head shapes. So one didn't fit me well but another felt pretty good. Nice straps too. I'm currently using a Laser Genesis which I like.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    best to try them on. My wife moved from a Specialized to a Kask Mojito and the fit/design is better for her as it fits lower down her head. The Aeon works for me and the new Giro Synthe looks interesting but isn't released yet.
    M.Rushton
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Yep - you have to try them on to establish what is most comfortable. No way around that one IMO. For what it's worth, I have a Giro Aeon which I find perfectly comfortable. Agree with previous post that they are a bit mushroomy but I'm happy to put up with that given the fit/ light weight/ ventilation.

Peter
  • Kask... definitely is smallest looking helmet. have the 50nta, had the K50i.
  • They come in sizes and shapes vary between brands best to go to a shop and try on a few to see what brand and size suits you, me I love my Giro Aeon.

+1 for the Aeon. Best lid I've ever worn.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You need to try them one - WITH any (cycling) glasses and other headgear you may wear. I had a Bell, great helmet, good fit - BUT the front rim was always tapping on the top of the frame of my Oakleys. Not so with the Giro, Met and now Spesh helmets I've had/have. Of course, you could manage without (mines promariliy worn to appease my wife, I prefer to cycle without one, though they're warmer in winter.)
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've also got a Kask K50 and it doesn't look mushroomy at all. More importantly, it fits great and I don't notice I've got it on.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have a Giro Ionos and have recently bought a Kask Infinity. If I hadn't bought the Infinity I would have bought a Mojito. Both were a very comfortable fit.

I'm keeping the Ionos as I think the Infinity may prove too hot for rides on the hottest summer days. With the sunroof shut it is toasty on cold days!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • The one that fits the best!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • fyi - Giro Ionos now being 'discontinued'........
  • I am using my giro mountain bike helmet. It fits and I don't usually check how I look in a mirror.
  • fyi - Giro Ionos now being 'discontinued'........

Bikediscount are doing the black Ionos for <£70 with some other colours a few pounds more ... If you don't need the 'latest' model it's good value for what was once the top end lid and at that price is cheaper than the older Atmos design.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Try the Louise Garneau Edge from Evans.Excellent non mushroom helmet.Comes with a small visor if you want to use it.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... t-ec027623
    I had a Kask Mojito which was ok but the large retention system at the back gave me problems catching my sunglasses ( a problem noted by other users aswell) and gave me headaches due to it..The Edge has a much much smaller system but it works very well and is a very stable helmet.It's also half the price of the Kask!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I am using my giro mountain bike helmet. It fits and I don't usually check how I look in a mirror.
    If you leave the peak on a mountain bike helmet it can require more neck movement to see forward adequately from a low position. A problem for me, may not be for you!
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    I have Kask Mojito. It fits so well and looks the part. Its so very comfortable, I sometimes forget I'm wearing it.