Upgrade Ultegra 10 spd DI2 to 11 Spd.

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Has anyone upgraded their 10 Spd ultegra di2 for the 11 spd. Have heard you can just change out the read mech and do a firmware update on the rest of the componants and you are good to go! Has anyone done this or is it possible?
Any info or a step by step guide would be great.
Thanks
Paulie

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just swap out the rear mech. Job done. (And obviously the cassette and chain).
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Just swap out the rear mech. Job done. (And obviously the cassette and chain).
    Have you done this?
  • janesy
    janesy Posts: 148
    No don't waste your time, Pokerface that was bad advice.

I got a new mech and cassette and it didn't 'just' work.

You have to update the firmware. howeverShimano's new firmware stops this from working. And you cant go back a version. So at the moment I have been told that it is no longer possible to upgrade to 11 speed. which is a real shame.

Unless Some one else can shed some light.
    Ritchey Road Logic - Focus Izalco Chrono Max 1.0 TT
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I've done this on 2 different bikes and worked fine. Did it on a 3rd bike recently, well built it up from scratch, with Ultegra 10 speed parts, but 11 speed rear mech and it worked fine, updated firmware and it stopped it working - doh. Solution for me was to replace front mech as well and it now works fine, still using old levers. New mech is obviously a pain, but you can obviously sell the old mech so the price to change isn't so bad. I think I read somewhere the issue is firmware on the internal battery, so it may not happen if you have an external battery.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You're right. It was bad advice. I assumed you would also be updating the firmware.

Here's a great thread on everything you need to know, including which firmware works and which doesn't: viewtopic.php?t=12956194&p=18709277

In short - the right firmware with just a rear mech swap, and it will work.

Within that post is also a link to another site that explains the firmware issue in detail: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-ever ... d-to-know/
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I did both of our bikes in July just before Shimano sabotaged their software. The Carlton Bale article was updated with the info just after that, based on info from a chap on here. When I did my update the current version was v2.50. Carlton Bale's site has a link to v2.60. Load this into your eTube and everything works fine. First load it direct into the battery holder, then plug into a shifter satellite port and the work through each component one by one, uploading v2.60 onto each one.

The updates since v2.60 add nothing to the day to day operation and this is an excellent and cost effective way of doing the swap. You will get a message saying that you may get errors if you use a 6870 rear mech with a 6770 front mech but it works perfectly. I'm using an EWW01 with my Garmin 1000 and that works perfectly too.

I got my rear mechs from Tweaks for £115 each.

If you do load the battery holder with anything higher than v2.60 then your only option is to buy another or get a 6870 front mech. There is no way of reversing to an earlier OS.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • janesy
    janesy Posts: 148
    Thanks Pokerface, maybe I will give it another go having this info.
    Ritchey Road Logic - Focus Izalco Chrono Max 1.0 TT