Air drying chain after white spirit in bottle cleaning

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited November 2014 in Workshop
If I took 2 x 2L milk containers that are like the ones you buy in Tesco, and put a little bit of white spirit in each , how long would you need to hang a chain out to air dry after the second immersion ?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    10 Minutes.
  • Your better off using paraffin instead of white spirit
  • badgermilk wrote:
    Your better off using paraffin instead of white spirit

What would be the air drying time for paraffin ?
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    You need to let us know the ambient temperature, relative humidity, wind speed and direction, height above sea level, number of links in the chain and weight before we can begin to make an accurate estimate.

Alternatively, try the empirical approach rather than the theoretical and let us know! :D
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Or wipe it with a lint free cloth.
  • Don't throw the old white spirit away. I pour it into a separate container through a sieve, let it settle and and use it again and again. Common sense will tell you when it has been used too much. The chain will quickly dry and can be oiled again on the bike.
  • Max P
    Max P Posts: 174
    White spirit is not the best idea, it leaves an oily residue. Use a solvent like meths or automotive brake cleaner (or petrol....) and then a wax based lube, much cleaner and easier all round.
  • Obligatory warning from KMC not to clean your chains with solvent

http://www.kmcchain.eu/maintenance
  • You've gotta love that KMC link : "Clean your chain after every trip"!

Aye, that'll be right. I'm sure we all do that.

BTW, I use paraffin, not white spirit, and keep a bottle as a settling tank so that the grot eventually settles out and it can be reused. Hang it up, wipe it dry, and replace and re-lube after an hour or so. But not, surprise to say, after every trip!
    :)
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie