seatposts offset or inline?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
i’m looking at replacing the seatpost on my trek hardtail bike and looking at my options.

size is 31.6mm and 300mm length.

do i keep with offset or go with an inline seatpost?

i’m only changing as its its a pain to adjust and i want to change it.

what do you guys prefer?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are happy with the reach you had, go for the same.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to shorten the reach then go in line. If you like things the way they are then stay with offset.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What are you adjusting?
    The only thing there is the saddle and once right it's right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It really depends on the seat tube angle and getting the saddle to BB distance right. However in practice if you are comfortable you have the it right enough.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • swod1
    If you want to shorten the reach then go in line. If you like things the way they are then stay with offset.

Thats one of the things i want to experiment with as it was fine when i got the bike but now i gonna try a shorter stem at somepoint to make the bike handle better offroad.
    cooldad wrote:
    What are you adjusting?
    The only thing there is the saddle and once right it's right.

the seatpost is just a cheap oem part they fitted to the bike when it was built, even though ive greased the bolt holding the seat and kept it tighened, its come loose a few times and theres signs of corroison so just gonna replace it.

As theres not much choice in 300mm length posts does it matter if i buy a 350mm and not bother cutting it down?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are considering fitting a shorter stem, then don't shorten the cockpit with an inline post as well!

The longer seatpost will be fine unless it hits a bottle cage bolt at the lowest setting you want to use....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    swod1 wrote:
    the seatpost is just a cheap oem part they fitted to the bike when it was built, even though ive greased the bolt holding the seat and kept it tighened, its come loose a few times and theres signs of corroison so just gonna replace it.
    Sounds like you want a seatclamp not a new seatpost if it's slipping...
    Corrosion? is the seatpost steel?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    stuisnew wrote:

He's talking about the saddle rail clamp slipping, not the seatpost slipping in the frame.
  • swod1
    stuisnew wrote:

Yes its the bolt that attaches the seat to the post that's the issue, bike is about 2 year old and has been used a lot.
    jimothy78 wrote:
    He's talking about the saddle rail clamp slipping, not the seat post slipping in the frame

The seat post is a just a cheap bontrager one the factory fitted to my trek so wasn't going to last loads of years, I'm replacing both seat clamp and post as I don't need to change the seat up or down and a new bolt clamp was only a few pound hardly breaking the bank.