Bottom Bracket Thread

philclubman
philclubman Posts: 229
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

Just bought a frame from ebay with bottom bracket cups still installed. It looks like someone's been heavy handed installing them.

I got my LBS to take the cups out (needed a breaker bar). Below is a picture of the threads inside the BB shell.

What are people's opinion?

15688671631_f278473422_c.jpg

Thanks in advance

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Looks like previous owner might have cross-threaded the bearing cup without realising it and just used brute force to get it installed leading to the chewed up threads in your pic.

My suggestion would be firstly to clean up the threads as much as possible and apply a liberal smearing of grease/copperslip. Then check if you can install a new bearing cup easily without having to rely on excessive amounts of leverage on the bearing tool.

If you run into problems then the only remedy would be to get the threaded re-tapped if there is sufficient material left to do that effectively
  • I was going to have it chased and faced.

I suppose the question is whether there is enough material left.
  • Thanks arlowood

I've given the threads a clean and screwed the bearing cup back in. It went in cleanly and feels like there's a good amount of thread engaging as it goes on.

It seems they've used some kind of green 'glue' when they put the cups in. It's not a nice serviceable type like locktite blue.

Here's another pic

15690601265_f1a4a16bb5_z.jpg

Any other thoughts?
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    There is a green Loctite, I think the main difference is it spreads more than blue Loctite.