few Raceblade Long mudguard thoughts/questions

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Just bought some Raceblade longs and put them on my old bike. Few thoughts/questions.

Is there somewhere you can buy new brackets? The metal bits which get screwed into the brakes and the mudguards clip onto? Reason I ask is because there was only one short one which had to be used for the back, pointing forwards, mudguard (had to because that's by far the shortest distance any of the brackets have to cover). But the front, pointing backwards, mudguard has more of a gap than I want.

Do SKS do longer bits of mudguard, in particular the back, pointing forwards (covering a bit of the down tube from the seat to the BB), mudguard? Just seems it would be much better to carry on further there.

Has anyone had a go (or even is it something SKS do) at making something to cover the gap under the brakes? Just a bit of plastic of some sort, or even polythene (held with elastic bands or something) there might do it. Seems a shame there's nothing to go there. I know it's tight but I bet something could fit. I might have a go at making something. Just wondered if anyone else has had a go at that and how successful it was?

Thanks.

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    gaffer tape
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It is these then you need
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Portland-Design ... _60710.htm

Longs are sort of ok, use them myself but the way the guards clip into those brake brackets does my head in.. crap design,, especially the front.. and I have had to make a longer piece from some older guards to make full coverage for the back wheel / FD.
  • Yes, you can get replacements.

http://www.zyro.co.uk/products/detail/SKX11032

Try Merlin. I asked them to order me a set after I broke one of the tabs after a bit of impromptu CYclo-X. I told them I no longer needed them as I managed to fashion a solution. I think they still had them ordered, so you may find they have a set in stock. Suggest you email sales.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    gaffer tape

Yup, good suggestion, thanks.
    JGSI wrote:

They won't fit my bike I'm sure. I posted this question before I'd pumped up my tyres. The gap between tyres and bracket turned out to be *way* tighter/smaller than I thought. Had to bend the bracket round to get it to not rub. 25c Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.
    JGSI wrote:
    and I have had to make a longer piece from some older guards to make full coverage for the back wheel / FD.

Yup, I think that's what I might do.
    Yes, you can get replacements.

http://www.zyro.co.uk/products/detail/SKX11032

Try Merlin. I asked them to order me a set after I broke one of the tabs after a bit of impromptu CYclo-X. I told them I no longer needed them as I managed to fashion a solution. I think they still had them ordered, so you may find they have a set in stock. Suggest you email sales.

Ah yup, excellent. Thanks.

Cool, thanks all.