some advice please

Robaidh
Robaidh Posts: 10
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Hi guys

New to the forum.

I used to do allot of mountain biking then i passed my driving licence and the bike ended up getting sold to a friend.

I decided to buy it back from him a couple days ago to try help me get fit again.

Anyway in his time of having it he diddnt look after it very well and now front brakes don't work at all, forks and gear selector don't work very well either.

The bike is a Giant terrago. I know its getting on a bit now but i don't want to save up for ages and buy a newer/better speced bike i just want to fix this one up mainly because i like it and it does my needs.

The forks i was never very keen on them as even on their stiffest setting they were always a bit to soft for my liking so would like to change them would like to change the brakes to better ones and change the gearing system.

Ive been out of the biking game a good 5-6 years now and technology has really advanced since then and ive forgotten allot about the best brands ect.

can anyone recommend what parts to get please?

Many Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited November 2014
    What sort of riding will you be doing?

We need to know the parts fitted to help suggest replacements that are compatible.

If you have the giant MPH disc brakes, best to bin them and use the Shimano that fit your budget, they are very reliable, so consider buying used.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the reply, the current parts are

brakes - MPH
    Forks - Suntoors XCR
    De railer - Shimano Deore
  • Sorry forgot to add. Just trail ridding really and the odd jump. I used to take it do glentress every now and then to the free ride park I know it's not designed for that but it always did well apart from the forks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends how much you want to spend. Probably about £250 for decent forks and brakes.

Doubt the gears need more than new cables, a lube and adjust.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Depends how much you want to spend. Probably about £250 for decent forks and brakes.

Doubt the gears need more than new cables, a lube and adjust.

okay thanks :D are the deore set up a decent enough set up?

from a bit of research a few people are suggesting the rockshox recon forks. these be a good purchase?
  • cooldad
    There are loads of different Recon models, but as long as they are the right size (travel and steerer tube) they will be better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    There are loads of different Recon models, but as long as they are the right size (travel and steerer tube) they will be better.

are the a decent fork? also what brakes would you suggest?
  • Robaidh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

The fork you eat your tea with is better than a Suntour :lol:
  • cooldad
    Robaidh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yes, and Shimano M615.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    dan_trials wrote:
    Robaidh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

So you'd rather have a Rockshox dart1 than a Suntour Epicon? If so you are an idiot. Suntour make some good value for money forks and RS makes some shockers.

The Recon is good reliable fork, golds (with alloy stanchions) shed a chunk of weight and the air versions are better to set up for your weight and save a bit mire weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    dan_trials wrote:
    Robaidh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

So you'd rather have a Rockshox dart1 than a Suntour Epicon? If so you are an idiot. Suntour make some good value for money forks and RS makes some shockers.

The Recon is good reliable fork, golds (with alloy stanchions) shed a chunk of weight and the air versions are better to set up for your weight and save a bit mire weight.[/quote

if i went for te gold ones is it just a straight swap over?

and as for the brakes are they also a straight swap over?

are these the brakes? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod124962
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108802

or is it that one?

also sorry for the noob question but it says with or without olives, what are these apart from the food lol
  • cooldad
    Little brass dohickeys that fit on the end of the hoses. You need them.

And read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Little brass dohickeys that fit on the end of the hoses. You need them.

And read Parktools.

okay thanks. should i change the brake disk or leave it or will i need to to accommodate the shimano brakes?
  • cooldad
    Discs should be fine but might need new adaptors depending whether frame/fork fitting is IS or post mount.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The right Recon gold will be a straight swap, the wrong one (29er, tapered steerer, through axle) will not. You want a straight steerer, qr dropout 26er fork.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The right Recon gold will be a straight swap, the wrong one (29er, tapered steerer, through axle) will not. You want a straight steerer, qr dropout 26er fork.

okay brilliant thank you guys :D
  • The Rookie wrote:
    dan_trials wrote:
    Robaidh wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

The Recon is good reliable fork, golds (with alloy stanchions) shed a chunk of weight and the air versions are better to set up for your weight and save a bit mire weight.

Them ones for see on bikes in Argos and the like?
  • i went from xcm forks to recons - huge difference in weight and performance - i bought them 2nd hand from the classifieds - keep an eye out for bargains!