Which is better?

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

If you had a choice of a 2008 Specialized SX Trail 1, a 2009 Marin Mount Vision or a 2010 Giant Reign X2, which would you say is the best all rounder?
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers. Gaz
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Details of spec etc would help - not many people memorise 5 and 6 year old bikes.
    There were also various Mount Vision models.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • All standard spec really, avid juicy three brakes, marzocchi 55 forks, Sram x5 gears etc. that type of thing. I'm not sure which model Marin mount vision it is apart from it's the chrome one :oops:
    I was just wondering if at the time any were known as being really good for the money or if any were really bad

Cheers
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    All things being equal my guess is the Reign - its the first year of the newer frame - Maestro suspension but the X2 came with a coil rear shock - if thats still there I can imagine it might be heavy and a bit bouncy

The Marin is Chrome? According to bike pedia in 2009 the models were either red, white or black. Cant see a Chrome Mount Vision in the years either side either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Reign X2 and SX Trail are not all rounders. I had the 2011 Reign X which was the same and it's a real tank of a bike, very heavy and not a great ride. I broke four lower linkages on the frame in a year and thats quite common. Giant admitted to me its too weak.
    The SX Trail is a slopestyle bike, great over big jumps, ok on a downhill track but you don't want to ride one up a hill.
    The mount vision is a good trail/xc bike.
  • Thanks for the replys, I think I'll be heading down the Reign x2 road, it has got the coil rear shock (marzocchi roco r), if I swap this for a different type what would be a half decent one? Sorry if these are stupid questions but this will be my first suss mountain bike and I know nowt about them (usually ride road).

Cheers Gaz
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't buy the Reign. Seriously, it's the worst bike I have owned. Four linkages (£120 each if you don't have a warranty) in under a year and the rear suspension just doesn't work well at all. The leverage rate is terrible, with a 2" shock for 170mm rear wheel travel.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Loved my old SX Trail, but as said above they're not that great uphill or on XC routes, although not impossible.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8