650b tyre help

Bluestoesonnose
Bluestoesonnose Posts: 372
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a bit of an issue, just moved to a bike with 650b wheels and tubeless tyres.

I'm running Maxxis Ardents (little more aggressive version on the rear for traction) and I can't get them to grip. Front tyre pressure is 20psi and the rear 25psi. The tyre side walls seem stiff do I need to drop the pressures further or am I expecting to much from these tyres for winter riding on Dartmoor in the mixed conditions?

Cheers
This is why!

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    am I expecting to much from these tyres for winter riding on Dartmoor in the mixed conditions?

From my personal opinion with Ardents I would say yes (and I would have the more grippier tyre up front for traction, and the other tyre on the rear for rolling speed).

They are high volume and fairly wide but the tread is shallow and more designed for fast rolling as opposed to a high level of traction. I could never really get any grip from the set I had, they had a tendency to slide out in corners and suffered badly in wet conditions. Most people seem to prefer them as a rear tyre and have a more aggressively treaded, grippier tyre up front like a High Roller 2 or Minion.
  • Many thanks, I'll look for something more aggressive (front and rear) for the winter then as I'm having trouble with the rear gripping on greasy climbs.

Any suggestions, can't be too wide as the Ardents are about as big as the frame will allow?
    This is why!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maxxis Beaver get very good reviews as a winter tyre, are fairly light as well, I also find Schwalbe Rocket Rons give me as much grip as I want and roll pretty fast as well, but that will depend on the type of riding you do (and I don't know dartmoor).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above I like an Ardent on the back but wouldn't put one on the front. Have used them with Minions and HR IIs and Spesh Butcher Controls good grip/speed combo for all but the worst winter slop