25lb too heavy for racing?

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited November 2014 in Cyclocross
After watching a mate of mine racing at rapha supercross the other week I'm looking for a bike for getting into cx racing (just for "fun", I'm never going to be a winner...) and to use as a winter bike on the road, with a limited budget of £600 I'm looking at bikes at around 25lb which seems quite heavy, my road bike is 16.5lbs. Is it worth spending more (£1000) to get down to around 22lb or will it not make a huge difference?

I realise these cheaper bikes usually come with heavy tyres etc which can be swapped out to save a bit...

Comments

• If it's for a bit of fun, any bike will do... if you get the hang of it, plenty of time to upgrade in the future... if you don't, here's your winter steed...
    left the forum March 2023
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    After half a lap your lightweight CX bike is carrying a few pounds of mud anyway ;)
  • ravey1981
    Thats true...

In the meantime I just bought one of these on ebay for £300 with a spare set of road tyres and full mudguards...I reckon thats a whole lot of win for that money... And as ugo said I can always upgrade at a later date if i get the bug....

http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/verenti-m ... ook.html/2
  • Nice, if you flip the stem... :wink:
  • ravey1981
    Picked up, fettled, stem flipped and ready to ride..... she is pretty lardy though it has to be said...still, can't complain at that price...

qWfsLaQ.jpg
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    Picked up, fettled, stem flipped and ready to ride..... she is pretty lardy though it has to be said...still, can't complain at that price...

qWfsLaQ.jpg

It looks like a pretty good quality piece of kit. Should serve you well and it is upgradeable if you wish to do so in the future (carbon fork, light wheels and better tyres spring to mind)