Tyre Help.

willdoyle
willdoyle Posts: 9
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Hey guys,

Due to a change in circumstances it's time for me to start commuting on the bike, which would not be a problem but it's all roads no trails and no fun.

So my question is this.

Runing a Canondale prophet with lockout front and rear but tyre wise

Front - DT SWISS 5.1
Rear - Halo SAS Pro

What are gona be the smallest tyres I can get away with on those rims for commuting currently running CG Panaracer AM front and rear.

Even at Max pressure it's still a bloody pain in the ass and getting my ass whopped by most people.

So any suggestions on new tyres for commuting on?

Many thanks in advance.

Will

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That will always be nasty as a commuter.
    Buy a cheap roadbike or old hardtail.
    You can get something decent SH for £100 or less - not much more than a set of decent tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, a cheap but decent enough hardtail MTB on v's can be had for about £60 up, but for tyres, Schwalbe City Jet in 1.75" trim would suite, but Big Apple or Kenda Small Block 8's would be more in keeping but as much as a second hand bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the input so far, guess I'll be making a new purchase then convinced the other half to let me get a new bike.

£300 budget any thoughts?
  • The Rookie
    The fit 300 at Decathlon, really well specced and light
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-300-flat ... 06479.html

Unless you want dropped bars?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Not light, or particularly fast, but utterly bombproof. I'd get the fit in preference but it depends on how far you'll ride and how fast you want to go. Tyres are also less convenient as the wheels are 650B.