Edge 1000 - trick or treat (a treat at this price)

deadhead1971
deadhead1971 Posts: 338
edited November 2014 in Road general
Just noticed an amazing price on the edge 1000, the cheapest I've ever seen it anywhere.

It's from Westbrook Cycles and not only do they sell it cheaper than everywhere else, they have a Halloween offer for 10% off too.

The code to use is PUMPKIN

it expires at midnight tonight (31.10.14)
http://tinyurl.com/lgtajrw
Alan
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Nice attempt at hiding your affiliate link...
  • Code wouldn't apply when I tried, seems cheaper here if the code doesnt work http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/edge-1000-bundle-navigation-system-209078
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Just noticed an amazing price on the edge 1000, the cheapest I've ever seen it anywhere.

It's from Westbrook Cycles and not only do they sell it cheaper than everywhere else, they have a Halloween offer for 10% off too.

I think you should be stating that if people buy after clicking your link, then you get commission.

For the best prices always look at Handtec first. I got mine from Cycle Surgery who price matched Handtec. No delivery charges and had it there and then.

£321 incl performance bundle, £280 without!
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsearch/ ... wed&q=1000
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I wouldn't bother paying extra for the functionality the 1000 supposedly gives. I'd get an 800, or 810 at a push.

IME, the 'smart' features on the 1000 are unstable and in the end, bloody annoying (due to the time you have to spend before each ride getting them working).

Speaking as a loooong time Garmin user, had every Edge model since the 305.
  • Bar Shaker
    I use maps, HR, cadence, Di2 gear and battery info, Segments, Live Link and auto upload to Strava on ride completition on my Garmin 1000.

I don't spend any time getting these things ready before rides so am worried I am missing key features. What should I be getting ready?

I had an 800 before my 1000. They don't compare.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dodgy
    For one, text notifications don't work if you have an iPhone 6. Also, every time you turn the Edge on, you have to 'allow' bluetooth connectivity on the Edge. All my other bluetooth accessories just work, no acknowledgements needed on the phone.

Until just 2 days ago, activity uploads weren't working on the Edge 1000 with ios8 and iphone6.

The device has been out since April, and the promised landscape mode still isn't available.

Battery life is very much worse than the 800/810 (I've owned both). For instance, I rode 100 miles to Ambleside on Monday, battery was fully charged on leaving and only just managed to stay powered for the 6.5 hour trip (mix of map showing, but mostly not showing).

I could go on :)

The core data logging functionality is fine, as is navigation. But then again, it's also fine on the 800/810, hence my moan.

If anyone doesn't believe me, check out the extensive threads on Garmin's own forums.

I have definitely bought my last Garmin device unless something amazing happens, like they bring out a device that works as it should out of the box and is never botched by a new firmware.
  • Bar Shaker
    I hadn't noticed that text alerts don't work with my iPhone 6 but then I consider them a gimmick (others won't) so don't look for them. It did work with my iPhone 5S so am guessing Garmin need to finish writing a fix for what Apple have changed.

My activity uploads work fine and pressing "Allow" isn't really that time consuming when authorising the Garmin talk to my phone. If it didn't have this authorisation, the tin foil hat brigade would be wetting their beds at night.

I rode the New Forest 100 a few weeks ago. We rode as a group with our girlfriends and did it in a leisurely 15.x mph. I can't now remember the exact battery I had remaining but it was around 60%. I was pleasantly surprised. My other 100 mile ride last month was faster but used slightly more battery, just over half. That's acceptable to me. I generally view the data screen with navigation displaying junctions when I approach one.

Why would I use landscape mode?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dodgy
    Yes, your activity uploads work fine. That's great :)

Garmin eventually developed a fix that came out on the 29th Oct "Fixed issue with activity uploads failing".

Just sharing my experiences, I wouldn't buy another.
  • Bar Shaker
    The upload problem must be quite selective. Glad it's fixed for you, now. I'll look at the new update and see if it changes anything else.

My battery life was around 10% per hour until my last update, in Sept. That update didn't list battery performance in what it fixed but it improved it dramatically.

When I have looked at the gripes on forums, the problems were all fixed some time ago, or like landscape, just don't interest me.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

I don't spend any time getting these things ready before rides so am worried I am missing key features. What should I be getting ready?

Its only riding a bike....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Its only riding a bike....

My thoughts, exactly.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker
    dodgy wrote:

Garmin eventually developed a fix that came out on the 29th Oct "Fixed issue with activity uploads failing".

Dodgy, I can't find the update you mention. On Garmin's website the latest one is v2.50. This fixed the text issue within days of people getting their iPhone 6s. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

There is nothing in any of the update notes about fixing activity uploads, nor are there any updates since late September.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=6735
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dodgy
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Dodgy, I can't find the update you mention. On Garmin's website the latest one is v2.50. This fixed the text issue within days of people getting their iPhone 6s. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

There is nothing in any of the update notes about fixing activity uploads, nor are there any updates since late September.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=6735

Not sure why you went off to find a fix for a problem you're not experiencing, don't you believe me or something? Why are you going around BikeRadar evangelising the Edge 1000? :lol: The issue was with the Garmin Connect ios app.

Here, if you must.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/garmin- ... 46403?mt=8
    Free
    Category: Health & Fitness
    Updated: 29 October 2014
    Version: 2.7.1
    Size: 17.4 MB
    "What's New in Version 2.7.1
    Fixed Location Services issue causing increased battery drain.
    Fixed issue with Edge activity uploads failing.
    Added Apple Health tour."

IMG_0061.PNG

You might as well tell me that I'm imaging all the problems me and others have with our Edge devices. Please, I don't want to hear about your flawless experience with the Edge 1000, I'm honestly happy for you :)
  • Bar Shaker
    dodgy wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Not sure why you went off to find a fix for a problem you're not experiencing, don't you believe me or something? Why are you going around BikeRadar evangelising the Edge 1000? :lol: The issue was with the Garmin Connect ios app.

Here, if you must.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/garmin- ... 46403?mt=8
    Free
    Category: Health & Fitness
    Updated: 29 October 2014
    Version: 2.7.1
    Size: 17.4 MB
    "What's New in Version 2.7.1
    Fixed Location Services issue causing increased battery drain.
    Fixed issue with Edge activity uploads failing.
    Added Apple Health tour."

IMG_0061.PNG

You might as well tell me that I'm imaging all the problems me and others have with our Edge devices. Please, I don't want to hear about your flawless experience with the Edge 1000, I'm honestly happy for you :)

I wondered why Garmin Connect wasn't telling me there was a 1000 auto update when you said you'd had one. As it turns out it was a Garmin Connect update and not a 1000 issue at all. This would have also affected the 810 that you advised the OP to consider instead of a 1000.

I'm more than happy to slag off rubbish products that I have bought. On here, ownership of a product you are expertly slagging off seems to be optional (I appreciate you have one). The 1000 isn't a rubbish product and gets a grossly unfair slagging from people who will probably never spend £350 on a GPS. It's almost as if by slagging it off, they convince themselves that their wife saying no was the correct decision.

You are correct in that my experience of ownership has been flawless. I see nothing wrong in conveying that, despite what the baying mob want to hear.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dodgy
    The Garmin forums would say otherwise, the activity upload was failing on the Edge 1000.

But fine, you're happy, that's great.

You do seem to be emotionally attached somehow to your Edge 1000 eg: "grossly unfair slagging". It's quite possible that those that are 'slagging' off their Edge 1000 is because they don't find it as good as it should be. There are plenty of actual owners on the Garmin forums who would be interested to hear your overwhelming positive findings.

As I said, I've had the 305, 705, 800, 810 and now the 1000 since April 2014. Either Garmin include the necessary cellular connectivity inside the device and reduce the reliance on a 3rd party piece of hardware (the cellphone), or just go back to being a simple data logger. They're good at that.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

I think you should be stating that if people buy after clicking your link, then you get commission.

For the best prices always look at Handtec first. I got mine from Cycle Surgery who price matched Handtec. No delivery charges and had it there and then.

£321 incl performance bundle, £280 without!
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsearch/ ... wed&q=1000

Those prices are ex vat, although still a good deal with the extra 20% added.....
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    dodgy wrote:
    The Garmin forums would say otherwise, the activity upload was failing on the Edge 1000.

You do seem to be emotionally attached somehow to your Edge 1000 eg: "grossly unfair slagging". It's quite possible that those that are 'slagging' off their Edge 1000 is because they don't find it as good as it should be. There are plenty of actual owners on the Garmin forums who would be interested to hear your overwhelming positive findings.

As I said, I've had the 305, 705, 800, 810 and now the 1000 since April 2014. Either Garmin include the necessary cellular connectivity inside the device and reduce the reliance on a 3rd party piece of hardware (the cellphone), or just go back to being a simple data logger. They're good at that.
    No forum is representative of the total number of owner/users with or without problems.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • dodgy
    NeXXus wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

No forum is representative of the total number of owner/users with or without problems.

Yes, in the same way that you find that hospitals are generally not full of healthy people. But that's where you go to find what problems exist.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    dodgy wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Yes, in the same way that you find that hospitals are generally not full of healthy people. But that's where you go to find what problems exist.
    And there will be healthy and sick people not at the hospital
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Bar Shaker - thanks for all your input. I'm in agreement that people who have had positive experiences from products should tell people. The same as people should mention if they have bad experiences then let the person researching make his/her mind up for themselves.

Just posting something like "it's useless and would never buy one again" is a bit well.... misleading. A bit like Apple users and the mantra of "it just works"!!

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my 800 for a 1000 as I'm a sucker for gadget's and if the segments and auto uploading to strava/garmin connect feature's work as they should, that would probably be enough to swing it for me (hoping they don't announce a new one soon!! and I've got a doubt about that!!)

Does anyone know the period's between the 800 and the 810 devices?

Also I'm using a proper phone (Samsung) not a toy (what have I said!!) lol

so will hopefully have less connectivity/phone issues. ;)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Never had a problem with any of my Edge devices that couldn't be attributed to user error. The moaners and whiners are a tiny minority in terms of units sold by Garmin, just the same as the moaners with Apple, Samsung, Toshiba etc products. A good number of them have made user errors but choose to blame the product. Where a conflict arises with the Garmin firmware, they are reasonably quick to rectify the issue. I certainly have no complaints.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dodgy
    philthy3 wrote:
    Never had a problem with any of my Edge devices that couldn't be attributed to user error. The moaners and whiners are a tiny minority in terms of units sold by Garmin, just the same as the moaners with Apple, Samsung, Toshiba etc products. A good number of them have made user errors but choose to blame the product. Where a conflict arises with the Garmin firmware, they are reasonably quick to rectify the issue. I certainly have no complaints.

The core functionality of the Edge 1000 is fine. But let me assure you, that I and others have had problems with BT connectivity and lots of other little bugs. You make a rather sweeping statement about users. I used to run a blog that helped Garmin Edge users ( www.velorider.co.uk now sadly departed ;) ) and you are right, the vast majority of the users of the 705 (which I was mainly blogging about) were experiencing user error.

There are lots of problems with the Edge 1000 that are not user error. Basic bluetooth connectivity reliability for one. Annoying little bugs like if you charge your device then disconnect it from the charging source, guess what happens? Yes, it turns on. I now know that happens and have to wait for it to turn on so I can turn it off again :roll:

Here's a Garmin Moderator actually creating a post about BT problems on the Edge 1000. So don't try and tell me I'm imagining it or it's user error.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... h-dropouts

"We are aware of an issue that can cause ANT sensors and Bluetooth connections to drop out during the first few minutes of a ride. We are working to address this in our next software release for the Edge 1000. Thanks for your patience and we apologize for the trouble!"

If you don't like that, go tell Garmin that they're wrong.

I now just use my 1000 as a simple data logger, but I've paid extra for features that I hoped would be reliable and am no longer using.
  • Bar Shaker
    As posted on the other thread...

This may help some of you out. I'm looking to buy a second 1000 as a present for someone so if any of you would like to get shot of your rubbish 1000 and get something/anything in return for seeing the back of the wretched thing then please pm me.

Boxed, unmarked with performance accessories only, please. I will buy the cheapest one.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro