Hybrid or CX for 10 yr old

Deanoz
Deanoz Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi, Looking for a little advice.
Firstly my daughter hasn't done any what you could call proper cycling just pootled around the streets but a friend of hers does ride with a club and she has asked to get involved with that club.

She currently has a MTB which is too small for her and as xmas is coming she has asked for a road bike for Xmas.

We visited our local cycling shop and they suggested the Moda Major as a good bike to get her going, she had a sit on the bike and after a few adjustments it looked a good fit.

I'm slightly worried about the change to drop bars and her not being able to control the bike correctly and wondered if she would be better off with a Hybrid? I can see that the Moda will be best for proper rides and there might be a learning curve and I don't want the learning curve to put her off.

Anyone with any experience or advice to offer thats been in this situation?
The Moda looks good value at £300 I've looked at Isla bikes etc but the Moda looks good value at this price. Hybrid wise I've only looked at the new Boardman Junior Hybrid which again looks the part.

Comments

• I'm sure a 10 year old will be fine with drops. Both my boys were at about the same age.

The Luath has the additional brake levers on top.
  • We went with a Frog hybrid bike for my 10 year old and she loves it, she has the Frog 69 hybrid. We went with the hybrid rather than a road bike as she will use it for triathlons, a few of which are off road. At least with the hybrid she can switch between tyres for off road and on. The Moda certainly looks good value, especially when compared to the Islabikes. However, don't forget that Islabikes hold their value exceptionally well come time to sell on.