Etape Caledonia 2015

2»

Comments

• taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    I've filled in the feedback form each year. I'm not sure why they would want to change the system though.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Bill Gates wrote:
    I"ve booked car-parking for Sunday morning, is there usually a delay getting into the field?

No - well organised one way system
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I've been to register earlier this evening and also enquired about the car parking and they said it is not a problem. Approx 800 places already booked.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • bill_gates
    Looks like it's forecast for pretty wet tomorrow for this years event which is frustrating as tonight has been so pleasant.

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Good luck tomorrow!

Dreading the weather a bit, i forgot to lift a bag id packed with overshoes, knee warmers, jacket, gilet, gloves etc. Of course i didnt realise this until after the endura stall and the bike shop had closed for the night! :|
  • bill_gates
    It was a pretty wet event this morning. I hope all riders done well. I seen a few 'offs' and a pretty early one into the route (descent into Kinloch Rannoch on the double-bend was one that looked pretty bad!) Look like a young lad, I hope he is OK.

I had a great time an met plenty of good people and although the conditions were extreme this time around, I'd go back for another shot next year!

• rollemynot
    No text result and no results online, unless I am missing something?
  • Omar Little
    Enjoyable but wet day. Had a real bad patch from about 30 miles to 50 because i suspect because i didnt have the appropriate gear on but going up Schiehallion started to feel good and from Logierait to the finish is the best ive felt for that stretch big ringing up the climbs rather than trying to avoid cramp like normal on previous years!
    Rollemynot wrote:

I got a text shortly after finishing

Found this link, https://www.raceplus.co.uk/raceplus-ind ... _id=ETCL15 not sure if its finalised yet though - the rider in number 1 position is miles ahead of everyone else (and it would be a course record too)....however he doesnt have a kotm time.
  • That guy only did half the course! (looking at his average speed though, I don't think he was deliberately cheating)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6530616
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Had a great time. Probably more than any of the other drier times I've ridden it. Missed my wave by four letters so the rest of my crew were well gone by the time I left. Managed to work with a solid group all the way to Schiehallion then started to pick up my mates.

As always there were a few idiots charging up the right side without calling out and one twit on a Boardman with a brown Etxeondo jersey forced himself into the middle of our huge group powering it down the road to Logierate then decided to have something to eat and started braking, weaving and causing general mayhem.

Doug from our club came 13th (12th if you take that dodgy time off the top). Not bad at all for a man in his mid 40's.

I told myself this would be my last Etape Cal but I want to do it again! :-)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Rollemynot wrote:

I only got my text result this evening. Last year it was before I left the car park.

Good day, but the rain made it hard to see at times.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • rollemynot
    TheFD wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:

I only got my text result this evening. Last year it was before I left the car park.

Good day, but the rain made it hard to see at times.

Yip mine came through last night also - certainly not as slick as usual
  • bill_gates
    I was 4mph down on my maximum speed from last years effort. Shows how precarious the Schiehallion descent was in those conditions. :-)

• thefd
    Bill Gates wrote:
    I was 4mph down on my maximum speed from last years effort. Shows how precarious the Schiehallion descent was in those conditions. :-)
    4mph!?!? What was your time difference?

I was 0.5 mph down from last year. 8 minutes slower. 4:01 last year and 4:09 this year.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thefd
    TheFD wrote:
    Bill Gates wrote:
    4mph!?!? What was your time difference?

I was 0.5 mph down from last year. 8 minutes slower. 4:01 last year and 4:09 this year.
    Sorry that was a doh moment. 4mph down on maximum speed you say. I thought that was avg speed. Ignore me - I must have got my brain too soaked at the weekend.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • bill_gates
    edited May 2015
    That was just on my Garmin recorded max speed, not the average over the course which would have been nice. ;-)

Last year I had a max speed of 41.3mph which I expect is on the Schiehallion descent, this year I only managed 37.0mph as the recorded maximum. I have lost a bit of weight over the year so that and the cr*p weather are the two likely contributing factors.

• thefd
    I've just checked. This year my top speed was 40.9mph. Last year it was 41.4 - so only 0.5 mph slower.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Omar Little
    My top speed this year was on the downhill before Tummel Bridge - just before the tight left hander

Average speed for the whole Schiehallon descent was over 5mph slower than last year (which is about 2 minutes). All the training and months of dieting to save 40 seconds on the KOTM for nothing! :D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    41.2mph this year.