Cyclocross

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

So I'm looking to expand the stable as cyclescheme opens at work next week.

Currently have a Cube Agree in a 56 for the road.

Looking at either a cyclocross or MTB for the second bike to let me mix it up a bit in the winter weather. I live on the Isle of Wight at the moment so stores on the island or near on the mainland are good (Hargroves for example on the mainland).

Pretty open minded, only requirement is disc brakes. Budget is cyclescheme max of £1000. I know there's a few with 5800 105 now, I'd cannibalise that to go on the road bike and put my current 10-speed 105 on the cross.
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• Hi.

I have a Felt 65X frame & forks in a size 55cm (I ride a 56cm on my Z1 road bike), handlebars, stem, seat post and avid bb5 disc callipers for sale in the near future. The frame has only been used for road riding as I use it for wet weather riding due to the ability of riding larger tyres (28 mm in my case) and disc brakes. I'm waiting for a new frame set to arrive then i'll strip the current bike down and sell the items listed above.

If you send me your private email address or mobile (then I'll Whats App you) i'll send some pics across?

Cheers

Dean
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm probably stating the obvious here, but I would have a real think about the type of riding you want to do before you spend any money.
    If you are planning on any trails that include a good number of miles of rough terrain then I would be more inclined for the mtb route. I'm an ex mtb'er, I now ride road and also have a cyclocross bike. I am fine on my off road trails on the cyclocross bike, but front suspension wouldn't go a miss. In the Autumn / Winter one of my weekend rides is 38 miles with 7 of those being offroad. If I didn't ride so many road miles I would probably go for a 29er with hydraulic brakes and front suspension rather than a cyclocross bike.
    On the cyclocross bike the disc brakes are great and the wide chunky tyres (35c on mine) feel nice and safe in the wet. Mine is a steel frame (damn heavy), but feels so comfortable riding it on the road.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    w00dster wrote:
    I'm probably stating the obvious here, but I would have a real think about the type of riding you want to do before you spend any money.
    If you are planning on any trails that include a good number of miles of rough terrain then I would be more inclined for the mtb route. I'm an ex mtb'er, I now ride road and also have a cyclocross bike. I am fine on my off road trails on the cyclocross bike, but front suspension wouldn't go a miss. In the Autumn / Winter one of my weekend rides is 38 miles with 7 of those being offroad. If I didn't ride so many road miles I would probably go for a 29er with hydraulic brakes and front suspension rather than a cyclocross bike.
    On the cyclocross bike the disc brakes are great and the wide chunky tyres (35c on mine) feel nice and safe in the wet. Mine is a steel frame (damn heavy), but feels so comfortable riding it on the road.

Yeah... I'm a roadie at heart so I guess my concern with a MTB is just not using it once I'm back on the mainland. Whereas with a cyclocross bike it wouldn't really feel out of place on the road and would have better braking etc in the wet.

I'm just trying to get an idea really. Would probably be looking at more the £600 mark if I went MTB to allow a bit for getting MTB shoes etc.

Dean, I'm only really looking at cyclescheme tbh as I don't want to part with a lot of cash upfront.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC