Lights, reflectors and Highway Code

2»

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    The reflective spoke attachments are brilliant, not the ones you get from the shop fitted to a new bike, but the ones that feel a bit like a firework sparkler that snap fit to your spokes.

Any brand you would recommend?

I bought these ones from eBay, 99p including delivery, easily enough to do one bike.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360774993842

Thanks for the link dodgy do these rattle at all or make any noise when spinning?

Completely silent, and they haven't moved even a tiny bit since installing. The rear ones attract dirt as you'd expect, so I just wipe them with a baby wipe from time to time to fully restore their reflective properties.
  • dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    The reflective spoke attachments are brilliant, not the ones you get from the shop fitted to a new bike, but the ones that feel a bit like a firework sparkler that snap fit to your spokes.

Any brand you would recommend?

I bought these ones from eBay, 99p including delivery, easily enough to do one bike.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360774993842

Thanks for the link dodgy do these rattle at all or make any noise when spinning?

Completely silent, and they haven't moved even a tiny bit since installing. The rear ones attract dirt as you'd expect, so I just wipe them with a baby wipe from time to time to fully restore their reflective properties.

Cheers mate just off to order a couple of sets right now (been worried about side visibility for a while now!) .
  • diy wrote:
    Guys, Guys, Guys....
    Its not if plod thinks it's ok to ride without reflectors on your pedals, frankly that's irrelevant and very low on cost impact.
    However, get knocked off by some idiot and hospitalised and their insurance is going to do all it can to avoid paying out...

This is very true, but a little context is needed. Firstly they still need to show that the failure resulted in contributory negligence. i.e. had the bike been showing the correct reflectors the accident could somehow have been avoided or the impact reduced. I doubt that link could be established for a cyclists riding with good lights and high vis. Second we have a fairly mature scale for reductions based on things like failure to wear a seat belt which is also a legal requirement.

The insurance company would not be able to avoid paying out, they would perhaps be able to get the claim reduced - highly unlikely that they would be able to get anything close to 20% off.

Discount for crash? :shock:
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    So if you want to adhere to the law 100% and you use spds or look keos are there any options available?
  • You need amber reflectors but I don't believe this is defined. So you could just get some reflective tape of the bay. And stick a bit on back and front edges.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Unfortunately they have to comply with the previously mentioned standards. But wheel reflectors are not required
  • As far as I can recall the yellow pedal reflectors were made a legal requirement as at the time they were the best way to notify people it was a (probably slower moving) bicycle rather than motorbike, and they are great for grabbing attention. They still work really well saving the kids (and not so young) riding around at night in dark hoodies and no lights from grief.

However, nowerdays they've been superseded by flashing lights and the police don't care as your lights are more important. You can buy shimano spd-sl pedals with amber reflectors hanging underneath aimed at beginners, with low spring retention tension but you won't find them on other models as it reduces ground clearance in corners.

You won't be pulled over for not having the reflectors though- only if you don't have lights. As someone's already said they ignore it themselves. There was a CTC article about it as well recently and no-one has ever been prosecuted for not having the right reflectors or lights.
  • According to schedule 20 part 1 RVLR pedal reflectors must comply to BS6102 for photometrics and carry the BSI mark.
  • zcapp96
    zcapp96 Posts: 26
    You can get these to fit various shimano pedals, just ordered some myself. Cannot imagine ever going around a corner so fast in the dark that ground clearance would be an issue. As to the lack of them being used against you in an accident, I can see someone being able to successfully argue that the fact they were missing made you less visible so not their fault they hit you - someone was able to use blinded by the sun to get away with it the other week!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Road-Pe ... reflectors
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    diy wrote:
    andrew_s wrote:
    To be legal, lights have to be marked as meeting BS6102/3 or an equivalent EU standard (which effectively means the German STVZO standard). If you have a legal light, you can use any other light as well.

Flashers don't - as long as all they can do is flash (60-240 times a min) and they produce at least 4 lumen (which is tiny) they don't need to comply with the above.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005 ... tents/made

True, but only if they cannot be used for steady mode. How many poundland lights don't have a steady mode, other than due to a dodgy connector?
    Frankly I think it is irrelevant, but the majority of bike lights in this country do not fit our laws.