prep for my first sportive advice please

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited October 2014 in Road general
i have my name down for a 70 mile sportive on the 16th of novemebr. this is my first sportive and first 70 mile ride i have previously completed a 50 mile ride and didnt find it to bad ..... the sportive is the wiggle bitter beast uk cycling events ..

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... -sportive/

if any one could give me helpful info and knowledge and what to expect it would be appreciated many thanks

simon
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Expect a lot of people all riding bikes in the same direction (more or less) at varying speeds. Ride at your own pace, not someone else's.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
  • sigorman85
    Cheers very helpful:-) im looking forward to it
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    If you've done 50 miles you should be OK, but maybe try a 60 miler this weekend to give you a bit more confidence and build your stamina. Taper down your rides in the week before the event.

Go at your own pace and don't overstretch yourself at the beginning. If you are doing it solo try and hook up with a few groups going at a similar pace which will make it more sociable and also reduce your effort if you can draft (don't forget to take your turn at the front). As most sportives tend to go through pleasant countryside don't forget to take the views in and enjoy it - too many people seem hell bent on going as fast as they can and miss the scenery.

Check your bike the day before to make sure everything is tight, pumped up, lubed and works etc. (the last one I did the batteries on my computer packed in so I was never quite sure how far I had gone).

Have a good meal with carbs the night before and a decent breakfast e.g. porridge. Take food and drink you are used to - don't try new energy bars or drinks on the day as they could upset your stomach.

Above all enjoy it!!
  • The steep bit is normally at the end so don't go off too quick trying to keep up with the rest. Save some legs and breeze past while they take the walk of shame.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Take some savoury food in your pocket. The feed stations tend to be full of cake, flapjacks, sweets, gels and energy drinks. A day of this can get a bit sweet and sickly. Whatever you choose to eat try it out an a training ride before the day.
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    whoof wrote:
    Take some savoury food in your pocket. The feed stations tend to be full of cake, flapjacks, sweets, gels and energy drinks. A day of this can get a bit sweet and sickly. Whatever you choose to eat try it out an a training ride before the day.

This.

The last few I've done I've taken a couple of jam sandwiches wrapped in foil....and squashed into my jersey pockets.
    The feed stations have been great and well stocked but in my experience, it does tend to be all sugary, sweet stuff.

Before I started with the sandwiches, I'd get to the end of a 80 and more mile sportive and be throwing up. Now with the sarnies I am fine at the end. Of course it could be down to my superior fitness now rather than the better assessment of my nutritional needs. :D

I'd also agree with the "go at your own pace at the start" advice too. It's easy to get carried away and then have nothing left at the end for the inevitable steep bits.

But good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • agree with pacing yourself and to help do that study the profile of the course (bitter experience)
  • sigorman85
    Brilliant info guys only problem with dorset it tends to be up hill and back down every 5-10 miles with some steep climbs it shows the elevation on the wiggle website for this particular sportive and I sort of no the route

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    whoof wrote:

This ++

Best food I've had from a Sportive food station has been sausage rolls and quiche.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Same here. Best ones I have done had cheese spread on French bread and TUC crackers.
    Tour of Britain sportive had actual sandwiches in the triangular packaging.

Always best to take your own stuff as they may only have gels, and they may not even be ones you like.
    You can always take some of what's provided and save for another day to see if you like it
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've done Hell of Hexham (100 miles, 10577 ft climbing) and Northern Angel (94 miles, 6414 ft climbing) by Wiggle/UKCE.

I'll second what's been said about food, if you're late then there may be only banana flavour High 5 Gels left. Best take some reserves incase you don't like what's on offer.

You've got two weeks to get some training in, focus on your weak areas, for me that'd be climbing.

Try and give your self a break from cycling for a couple of days before the event.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.