road mountain compatibility

carlone1
carlone1 Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in Cyclocross
more of an assistance thing than anything,
I have Shimano 105, 10 speed road shifters, and I have justed matched them perfectly with a 3x10 SLX chainset, only running 2 outer rings, 32 and 42, a 3x10 XT front mech, a 9 speed XT rear mech, 10 speed 32T cassette,

hope this is of some help to you, 1 small note, fit the BB as reccomended by manufacturer and chain line is not perfect, its quite a distance to the right, you could try putting 2 spacers on the non drive side instead of 1 but I didn't fancy trying it, downhill BB would be good from Race Face then you could easilly do that!

incidentally its for cross on a cross frame, 35.4mm clamp.

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    does this actually work? MTB mechs shouldn't work with road shifters as the cable pull / leverage is totally different.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends, there are various combinations which do work (the OPs presumably being one), you just have to do the research.

SRAM 10-speed are fully compatible; I have two bikes with road shifters and MTB rear mechs.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jomoj wrote:
    does this actually work? MTB mechs shouldn't work with road shifters as the cable pull / leverage is totally different.
    read what was written.

it is a well known compatible set up.

10spd road shifters with 9spd MTB rear mech.

also 2 front rings and an MTB front mech is easy to get right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    nicklouse wrote:
    jomoj wrote:
    read what was written.

it is a well known compatible set up.

10spd road shifters with 9spd MTB rear mech.

also 2 front rings and an MTB front mech is easy to get right.

I read it, admittedly I missed to the word 'front' before mech but I've tried that front setup and it didn't work very well IME, that's why I asked the question.

To add my own 2p, I also tried using a MTB triple as a double but using the inner and middle + a narrow range cassette. It was OK but as the OP points out, chainline isn't ideal.
    More recently I've converted my cx to a single ring and tried a 11-32 dynasys cassette with a 105 short cage mech. The mech is fine with the 32T cog but the slight spacing difference on the cassette meant that shifting was also sub optimal. Fitted a SRAM 10 spd and it's good.