Opinions on damage to top tube of new carbon frame?

tjam991
tjam991 Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Went out for the first ride on my new Trek Madone at the weekend, stopped for a snack and lent the bike up against a bench. The wind must have caught it and it fell over with the top tube bearing the brunt of the impact on a concrete step causing the damage shown in the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/CMomlCP.jpg

The exposed carbon is a bit less than the size of a 5p piece, with a bit of flaking in the paintwork extending about 20mm down the tube.

I'm worried that this could this have caused structural damage to the carbon. Is this likely or is it more likely to just be cosmetic? I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid as this my first carbon bike.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Probably just paintwork. It could be damaged; if I were in your boots I'd probably poke it with a screwdriver to detect any cracking and then ride it anyway.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Lacquer and paint chip.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Press firmly with the thumb on the damaged spot and you will detect if the carbon structure is damaged.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Tap it gently with the edge of a 50p piece along the top tube. If the carbon is cracked you'll notice a distinct change n tone in the vicinity of the damaged area.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it makes you feel any better, carbon frames can take a bit more abuse that you might have considered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lsDXEEUlRE

If the frame is split or cracked, as said you should be able to press with your thumb and it will yield, but I suspect your have simply chipped-off the paint.

Even if the damage is structural, it can be repaired.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Agreed with above- nothing to worry about.

CF really can take more abuse than a lot of people would have you believe. They wouldn't make MtB's out of the stuff otherwise 8)