RR 8.1... why the lack of magazine reviews?

voodoo254
voodoo254 Posts: 42
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Hi guys and gals,

Is there any reason as to why there aren't any proper Professional magazine reviews on the 2013/14 btwin rockrider 8.1? I've only found one by Bikeadvisor but its not too in depth.

Its a bike I'm keenly interested in purchasing and id just like as much info on it as possible. Its a toss up between the RR 8.1 and the voodoo hoodoo.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not sexy/awesome brand/special/boutique/{conspiracy mode on} BTwin don't bribe journalists{conspiracy mode off}.

Or something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • LOL! Too be honest that's the only conclusion I can come too as well! With the amount of interest it has generated one would think that the magazine guys would pick up on it??!!

Oh well...i'm new to all this so just thought I'd ask. Disregarding the wheel size, between the RR 8.1, the hoodoo and the bizango, what would be the better choice given a budget of about 600 gbp amongst you folks here? Does the 8.1's drivetrain and fork pip the other two?

PS - I think 8.1 looks quite "sexy" though :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The RR 8.1 hasn't changed for about 4 years, so why review something that hasn't changed? When most bikes are being downgraded (Hoodoo and Bantu notably), that's a pretty good thing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The RR 8.1 hasn't changed for about 4 years, so why review something that hasn't changed? When most bikes are being downgraded (Hoodoo and Bantu notably), that's a pretty good thing!

The current one (I think from 2012-14) seems to have changed slightly from the first edition 8.1 (2010) which was reviewed by Bike radar in 2010.... I guess its not changed enough to be worthy of another review eh?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's nigh on identical. Decathlon only release every 2 or 3 years, and while still been in stock, there is a replacement:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-56 ... ctFeatures

A bit more expensive, but RS air fork and 10 speed Deore.
  • Supersonic,

In your opinion, is this later model in the link you posted worth the extra 100 quid over the 8.1? Is the difference in drivetrain, brakes and fork vast?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hmmm. The air fork is more adjustable, but the Recon was slightly better quality. Only slightly though, the air fork is probably the better bet. The 10 speed stuff gives you more gear range - but the Deore is somewhat better than the SRAM in my opinion.

So you are getting what you pay for. ^00 quid opens up new doors like the Canyon range.
  • Thanks for your opinion.

One last piece of advice - on the decathlon site it states the sizes as 166-175cm for Medium and 176-185cm for large. I am 5'8" (so 177cm according to the unit converter on my phone). What size would I be better suited for? My legs and arms are pretty much proportional to my height. The 8.1 is only available in medium for on their site currently and I seem to have my mind set on that one..... would I get away with that size?

Being in Kenya I can't go try out the bike for size in person so an idea from someone who has the experience would really help me out.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll be fine on a medium, in fact it begs the question what anyone over 6' is meant to ride if they think they are too big for a large! I'm 5'9" and ride a small (not RR, but similar frame sizing).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.