Talk to me about fall gloves

bontie
bontie Posts: 177
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I had the first version of Castelli lightness (I think?) for the last few years. They were great for these inbetween days we have had of late, say around 8-12 deg. I am looking to replace them but cannot fathom paying £50 (or £35) for a glove that’s neither a winter, nor a summer glove.
What do you wear on these inbetween days?

Comments

• Assos InsulatorGloves which I would use on their own or depending on conditions I would layer with;
    DeFeet Dura Gloves,
    Castelli Diluvio,
    Castelli Lightness,
    Assos EarlyWinter

My last pair lasted about a year so I opted to try the DHB Liner Glove, they lasted about 3 weeks... So I purchased another pair of Assos for just over £20 a few weeks back, worth it IMO.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Conti knitted gloves - perfect for cooler temperatures, and only a tenner on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-K ... 1e93a5a7df

Last time I went ice skating, I picked up a couple of pairs of the knitted gloves they sell on the reception desk - £1 per pair...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclis ... glove.html

These are good - but at £15 a bit pricey. I'm sure they were doing a pack of arms, gloves and oversocks for not much more than that this year.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    cougie wrote:
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-custom-defeet-dura-glove.html

These are good - but at £15 a bit pricey. I'm sure they were doing a pack of arms, gloves and oversocks for not much more than that this year.

Agreed. £15 doesn't seem that much but when you see the DeFeet branded ones (same gloves!) for just under £10….

They are good gloves though.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Either just get a pair of cheap close-knitted gloves (eg. £2 from coop) - or cycling specific woolen liner gloves. Then pop a pair of summer fingerless mitts over the top. Will be perfect for autumn.

Then you can use them later inside heavy winter gloves as a liner - or to go snowballing with the kids if you bought the coop ones.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    As autumn cools into winter I move from mitts to assos early winter gloves and, if colder, add a pair of liner gloves. I have a pair of the lobster outers but I have never worn them other than to check if I could change gear, as ground conditions in those temperatures are too risky ie black ice, etc.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Prendas super roubaix gloves are good for autumn wear, that's for sure .....
  • I was recommended these by some scooter riders.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/140857282771?cm ... C&gxo=true

I haven't bought them but the lads who have rode to Europe in January and reckon they kept their hands warm and dry. Also apparently good gel protection in the event of an off.
    Might be worth a look for cycling.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Not sure why we talk about 'Autumn' or 'Winter' gloves here in Britain. we need to be more specific.
    You can still get very cold days and mild days varying from one day to the next, whether autumn or winter.
    We should be talking about temperature ranges, ie -10 to 0c, 0 to 5c, 5-10c etc.
    I find I have 5 sets of gloves to cater for a range of temperatures.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pfft amateur.

I have 13 pairs.

I still have the wrong ones out with me though - really I need to take them all out and swap mid ride.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    What are these fall gloves? Do they give you more protection in a crash or somat?
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I use Extremities Velo gloves, or similar, which aren't really a winter glove, but which I have used OK down to about -10 (the feeling in the fingers came back once I'd warmed up properly). The trick is to get the largest size available (eg XXXL), so they are a loose fit on the hand. Tight is cold.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    andrew_s wrote:
    The trick is to get the largest size available (eg XXXL), so they are a loose fit on the hand. Tight is cold.
    ^^This is so true^^, and something I soon learn't. Especially when it comes to protecting the ends of the fingers from the cold.
    I always thought a 'too large' a size might affect my grip on the bars but haven't found this an issue at all.
  • These are brilliant:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... s-ec052063
    It's all I need between mitts and a proper winter glove.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    dwanes wrote:
    Not sure why we talk about 'Autumn' or 'Winter' gloves here in Britain. we need to be more specific.
    You can still get very cold days and mild days varying from one day to the next, whether autumn or winter.
    We should be talking about temperature ranges, ie -10 to 0c, 0 to 5c, 5-10c etc.
    I find I have 5 sets of gloves to cater for a range of temperatures.

I have 1 set for temperatures below 5 and nothing else.
    Yesterday it was 14 dgr. here and I've spotted people with full wintergloves.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Some of these.
    Cost about £1-2 from a market stall near you.

magic-gloves-gripper-pimples.jpg
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Overlord2 wrote:
    What are these fall gloves? Do they give you more protection in a crash or somat?
    Exactly this is the real issue, damn Americanisms entering our beautiful language.

If the OP is a septic then he's just about forgiven.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem