Good routes from Bedoin (other than Ventoux)

sgt822
sgt822 Posts: 51
edited April 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Looking at adding a bit of variety to my annual pilgrimage to the french alps this coming august. For the last 3 years we have based ourselves in Bourg d'Oisans and cycled just about every ascent within reasonable reach by bike.

I normally get a daily morning pass so aim for routes 50-70miles with minimum 5000 feet of climbing.

This year my good lady is keen to spread our wings and rather than a fortnight in Bourg is keen on Provence for one of the 2 weeks and then a return to Bourg.

Hence Provence = Ventoux- but is there anything else?

My question is simple - including the ascents of Ventoux are there enough local routes commencing in Bedoin (50-70 miles + 5000 feet) to fill a 7 day stay or would a 3-4 day weekend stop off "do the job"?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Plus any tip on a good campsite (prefer a cabin rather than a tent :-))

Cheers in anticipation,

I expect that I'm spoiled given the variety on offer from Bourg d'Oisans but given we've got small kids, minimising the upheaval and hassle of daily reloaction is desirable.

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If you search this forum for Ventoux some of the threading including Ventoux in Late October there is info on routes in the area including The Gorge de Nesque
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Sometimes you need a week in Bedoin just to wait for the weather to be good enough to get to the top of the Giant...
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    To answer your question: there is much more than the Ventoux. This summer I will be there with my family and want to do something else than just the Ventoux. With a little bit help of strava segment search and route builder you can create dozens of local round tours. There will be plenty of 200 to 600 meter hills closely to explore.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Yes loads of hills heading north from Ventoux. you can explore those whilst waiting for best wether to hit Ventoux. The gorge de Nesque is a must, either as a loop back to Bedoin folowing a descent via Sault or just on its own.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Deffo agree with this;
    The gorge de Nesque is a must, either as a loop back to Bedoin folowing a descent via Sault or just on its own.
    The Gorge de Nesque was awesome, although we went the opposite direction, going from Bedoin via the Gorge to Sault then up Ventoux and descend back to Bedoin.
  • There's a lifetime's riding from Bedoin before you even set foot on the Ventoux!

To the west is the Dentelles - think about a loop taking in Vaison to Gigondas to Beaumes de Venise
    To the south is the Nesque and Luberon
    East is the lavender plateaux and high passes of Sault
    East and north terrific riding around Montbrun, col d'Aulan, Brantes and Buis les Baronnies

Just get a Michelin road map and choose the roads with green shading on them. Try picking up a bike map from the tourist office (they have them in Vaison; I am sure you'll find something similar n Bedoin).

You'll not want to leave! Best riding in the world.